Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dirty Dumpster

ridley075
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ridley075 polycounter lvl 10
This is just a dumpster I've been working on for school. Just wondering what you guys think about the textures. Thanks for the help. Also, the "Papier" is actually how I'm spelling it, just in case I get a post saying that.
render_04.jpg
Render_05.jpg

Replies

• tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    It's not looking bad in alot of places.. My biggest concern is the front of the bin, you have what looks like a non-tiling texture going across it, creating 4 seams. It's nothing you can't fix in photoshop with some masking though.

Can we see your UVs?
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Polak. :D

The scale looks a bit off dude, it seems tad too small i think. First step to improve it would be to burn ao map on the sheet and study the reference to get the actuall texture&model better.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so first some reference photos so you guys can see what I'm trying to create.

Reference Front:
    20050324_0013_0003.jpg

Reference Side:
    20050324_0013_0002.jpg

Diffuse Map
    Trashcan_01_D.jpg

Normal Map
    Trashcan_01_N.jpg

Specular Map
    Trashcan_01_S.jpg

The trash inside is separate to maximize the uv space, but I'm not really concerned with that, so I just put up the actual dumpster stuff here.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I've been trying to figure out how to build the AO map. I have the high poly still, I just need to figure out what to do. I'm using 3ds Max 2008 if anyone knows a tutorial on how to do it? And the "non-tiling texture going across it" is actually a normal map baked onto it to kind of create a modified version of the bumps in the front reference photo. I will definitely try and fix those.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    ridley075 wrote: »
    Also, I've been trying to figure out how to build the AO map. I have the high poly still, I just need to figure out what to do. I'm using 3ds Max 2008 if anyone knows a tutorial on how to do it? And the "non-tiling texture going across it" is actually a normal map baked onto it to kind of create a modified version of the bumps in the front reference photo. I will definitely try and fix those.

Switch the renderer to mental ray and ambient occlusion will be a new element you can add in render to texture.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    That feathery brush you're using to remove the paint for wear and tear isn't really working. I'd use a harder rough-edged brush and try to mimic what the worn areas look like on your reference. Right not it's too random and the edges aren't defined, making the worn areas look muddy. I'd also try to stay away from using so much pure black. Keep it up!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea the wear looks like fur kinda lookin at the maps, try to find a good chippy brush.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right. I'm a little confused on what parts you guys are talking about. I know about where the paint chips off from the metal, revealing the base metal. What about the scratches around the entire thing? Anyways, I'll work on refining the where the paint has come off.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why don't you just use the Reference photos to get your textures from, because your material looks nothing like your trash can. You have solid colors being sprayed with fuzziness. Change the brush, and pic a texture that is metal, and not a solid color. If your going for hand painted, then paint something that has a texture to it, at least for a base.

That trash can is made up of Galvanized steel. Yours is certainly not. You have scratches in areas that make zero sense. Is someone taking a sanding tool and going all over the corner with it? How did they get their in the first place? How did it get scratched in the cracks? Whats being thrown into the trash can on a daily basis?, Wood? Wood does not make scratches like that. Paper? Paper certainly doesn't make scratches like that, or even create grime like you have. What is keeping this thing together too? No wield marks, no bolts or rivets. It cannot possibly be once piece of steel.

Your wasting quite a bit of space on your UV map too, and is the given reason for such low resolution on the piece. Your wheels have to much resolution for something you will hardly see. You could have done symmetry on the sides, because at any given time, you will only see one side, not two, so, why deal with making both unique? Some of your UV's are curved to, which gives you a lot less room to maneuver in. Just flatten them out so that they are straight. They are small enough that you wont notice the slight scewing that will go on.

Gahh, ran out of time lol. Well, for what it's worth, it looks good. Just got to work on it more mate. :]
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the dumpster. I basically changed the scratches and where the paint chips off. Let me know what you guys think. And I will probably scale up the base metal because it is a galvanized texture, it's just that the scale is really small so you can't hardly see any detail.
    Render_06.jpg
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bumping it to get more critiques. Thanks.
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    NOT WANTING TO SOUND HARSH i think you need to go back through the thread and look at what everyones been saying.

-The scale looks a bit off
    -That feathery brush you're using to remove the paint for wear and tear isn't really working.
    -That trash can is made up of Galvanized steel.
    -Your wasting quite a bit of space on your UV map

Overall I think you have a solid base model but that texture is really letting it down. If I were in charge of fixing this I think I would:

-tweak the proportions of the model to fit the ref a bit more (looks like it needs to be made a bit longer, shrink the handles and whatever else)
    -resize the uv's giving more space for more important/visible areas.
    -find a nice base texture for the dumpster (something matching the ref, or even sampling from the photo)
    -and also redo the grunge to match the ref better
    -rework the scratches and grunge (get rid of that furry hair brush and use something a bit thiner with a harder edge)
    -redo the spec

But that's just my opinion :p Seriously though I think if you listen to what these other cool artist are telling you, the piece will come out really well. And also remember it usually takes a few passes to get things near perfect, so keep at it. I want to see this get better. Good luck.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I adjusted the scale of the objects and changed the metal texture to look more galvanized. I realize that I didn't use my UV texture space well enough, and have learned alot from previous posts, but I don't have enough time to arrange them and then change the textures to match the new uvs. In the future, your guy's advice will definitely help. I will still try and find another brush to make the scratches more believable though. Let me know what you think with those changes I've made, and I'll get back with you when I figure out the scratches.
    Render_07.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Can we see this from a different angel? Perhaps dead on from the front like the reference, or from a little bit underneath?
  • Explict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well good star, but you over did it with the textures. There is way to many scratches.
    The red circled area's have to many scratches, that are not there on the reference pic.
    As well as the green, that black/brown drips/scratches need to go, they look bad and
    are not on the reference pic either.

fix.png
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I realize that some of the things I added to the dumpster were not on the reference photo, but I'm not aiming to make it exactly like the reference. I wanted to add more grunge to it, mostly with the dripping or leaking sewage liquid. I appreciate the determination to stick to the reference picture, but I also wanted to make it have a little bit more. Here's some more pics from different angles. I will try and fix the scratches that are overly done, thanks Explicit.
    Render_08.jpg

Render_09.jpg

Render_10.jpg