Home Technical Talk

Couple of quick Modeling q's (max)

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Two questions:

Is there a way in Max to deform an object to the contours of another object? As in, lets say I make up some trim object and I want to apply it to a curved surface that isn't straight up and down. If it requires a plugin or add on, what is the best one?

Second question,

Is there any way to collapse an object after using a pathdeform World Space(WSM) so I can move it or edit it etc?

I've got the object to where I want based on the path. But I want to further edit some small details, not to mention just move it aside for now (since its a trim piece on a larger object). I can't seem to convert the whole thing to an object and move it around.

Replies

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    1) Editable Poly: Select the edges that you want to trim along, covert to spline, then you have the normal spline related tools to use (extrude, loft, sweep, pathdeform, etc).

2) Hah I'm not sure... Make a copy of the object, apply a morph, use the original (bound to the path) as the morph target, collapse your copy. Surely there is a proper way though :)
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First

You can apply a path deform along the shape like you mention

Second

Tools > Snapshot, then choose mesh
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty sure that using Collapse To will work on WSM path deform objects. Either that or adding an Edit Poly modifier and then using Collapse To instead of just Collapse.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Pretty sure that using Collapse To will work on WSM path deform objects. Either that or adding an Edit Poly modifier and then using Collapse To instead of just Collapse.

Collapse to did it. I've been using a hotkey calling on Convert to Editable Poly instead of Collapse to, thanks.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers guys, both methods worked!

I'm going to have to experiment more with detaching splines and using those tools, thanks again!