Home General Discussion

Commuting: DS or PSP?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
Ok, I know a few of you have a DS or PSP, or even both, and was wondering about your opinion on which is the better bang for the buck. The problem is that after taking the train for 6 months, the utility of my iPod shuffle is beginning to wear due to the limited amount of songs I like, plus the fact that I'm usually on the train for a total of an hour to an hour and a half per day (not including subway time).

Both the DS and PSP are about the same price, and the use-age is only different in that if I got the DS I'd also get Colors so I could use it as a portable digital sketchbook as well, where-as if I got the PSP I'd use it for watching movies/tv shows/video tutorials.

I'm also open to other suggestions of what to do to pass the time on the train from anyone else who may commute. The only thing is it needs to still be functional even if I'm in cramped sitting quarters, or standing if I don't get a seat. Plus I also commute with my laptop and its related gear as its my work computer, so...:poly134:

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    For commuting, definitely the DS. I've owned both and they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Here's why you should get it for commutes:

Many PSP games take forever to boot, get a game started, etc. Many have cut scenes, areas where you can't save until you reach a certain point, etc. The DS lite is compact, has nice battery life, and most games will have you up and running in hardly any time. If you have to interrupt your play for a while, just close the DS and it goes into sleep mode. Open it back up and you're instantly in your game again. There are also plenty of satisfying, long, and deep games (but not as many as the PSP).

Plus it has Colors!

To be honest, you'll probably end up getting both eventually :p
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I have both, and while I agree both have their strengths and weaknesses I find myself playing my psp more. I'll be really honest though, my psp is software hacked and I have all kinds of stuff installed on it. I only have a few DS games and I only really felt compelled to play Zelda Phantom Hourglass. The new mario, while good, just isn't calling to me. I really would like to see a pikmin game for DS, but I'll keep hoping. Does anyone have some suggestions for games on the DS? I've tried Nintendogs, Rune Factory, New Mario, Zelda, Big Brain Academy and Animal Crossing. There are others I tried ages ago, but these are the ones my wife and I have.

ps- By flipping the power switch up quickly your psp will go into sleep mode currently pausing your current activity. If you hold it in the up position your system will power down.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    ill third the DS vote. good games, awesome for quick 2 minute burst gaming, and colors!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    DS for me too for the reasons mentioned above, especially sleep mode. Advanced Wars makes for some pretty good morning gaming, or any game that's mostly a stationary screen for that matter (or else you're just asking for motion sickness). Colors is nice, but good luck getting any sketching in on a moving vehicle.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    psp by far, err you can press the power button for it to sleep instantly....

whoops, nacire already said it.:)

plus the awesome and diverse games of which my top two are Patapon and God of War:Chains of Olympus
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Illusions wrote: »
    I'm also open to other suggestions of what to do to pass the time on the train from anyone else who may commute.

Read books! :D That's my number one passtime for transit atleast.

As to your question I think you'd be best served by looking at the games and apps on each and deciding what appeals to you more. Personally I'd go for the PSP because it has more games that interest me and can play movies and tv.

But I know a lot of people who would be quite different and prefer the games on the DS, so you really need to look into the libraries of content out for each and decide based on that.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    a pocket sized moleskine sketchbook
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    These days its kinda like saying do you like nintendo more than you like playstation, they have both cut out a unique niche for eachother, and they are both significantly different. Me I like the games more on the DS the dual screen with the stylus makes things more interesting than just mashing buttons on the psp like always. And now the DS is even becoming better at having more advanced graphics from what ive seen.

So when it really comes down to it though, it all depends on what you want, do you want to play games like you would just like at home on your playstation? Or do you want to have a more interesting experience by doing something new and interesting like playing on the Wii. For a commute you might want something more interesting and different, also like others have mentioned the PSP has a heavier load, I find it to be more slow and less stable than the DS so to speak, you might find yourself often frustrated and then out of something to do.

Overall, I find that nintendo likes to keep things simple, while at the same time making a game that might not look as pretty but can still be really fun, which could easily provide you with hours of fun.

On a commute tip note though I want to add to bring more than just one thing to keep you busy, just in case you get bored of one thing you can switch back and forth.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Here in Tokyo, I see 20 PSP for every 1 DS on the train.

DS is dead.

Monster Hunters... everywhere...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    hawken: when did the PSP take off so much in Japan? When Crisis Core was released?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    DS!!! Dont try sketching on a train with Colors tho... it's nearly impossible because youre drawing on 'glass' and the stylus slips away at every small bump. If you get a M3-card for the DS(about 50 bucks, you need one anyway to play Colors!) you can use it to play pirated games(Boooo! ;)), and use it as an mp3 player. You can also play movies with it on your DS, but you'd have to encode the movie you want to see into a different file format wich isnt hard but takes quite some time.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    sonic wrote: »
    hawken: when did the PSP take off so much in Japan? When Crisis Core was released?
    Monster Hunter Freedom

&

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

&

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 G
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    I see the DS mostly here on the long train home.
    But I myself mostly use the good ol sketchbook and practice ;)

Failing that I watch movies on my nokia n95 8gb, this thing frikin rox!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    NDS equipped for homebrew. ColorDS is good, but not ideal for a train ride as mentioned. There's a comic book reader which is awesome, and allowed me to start catching up on 15 years of missed comic books.

The only games I really enjoy on the DS are the Ace Attorney ones, though, but the Advance Wars games have also brought me many hours of entertainment on the train.

But mostly I just use my iPod, loaded with audio books from Audible.

[Edit] Oh, and sometimes I talk to Flynny when we happen to be on the same train and cart. He mostly gets to endure me moaning about my pig flatmates.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    hawken wrote: »
    Here in Tokyo, I see 20 PSP for every 1 DS on the train.

DS is dead.

Monster Hunters... everywhere...

That's awesome, if there is one game I've played a ton of since I got my psp a long time ago it's monster hunter freedom. It takes some time to get into but the sheer skill and patience for some of the missions will test even the most diligent player. I haven't played the second one, but I bet it's a lot of fun.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, so the opinion so far seems to be on the DS...but not for using Colors on the train since I'd essentially be drawing on glass during a bumpy ride... :D!!

The only problem with the moleskine (as I have a few already, and have done it in the past) is that if I want to work in color I have to then lug around a bag full of colored pens and markers...which tends to get a bit haphazard on a train, plus sorta large storage-wise. I also have this strange quirk where if I'm working in a nice, elegantly bound sketchbook, I tend not to doodle because I feel what goes in has to look like it belongs in a bound, elegant sketchbook...but yes, I shall try this again, especially now since Polycount has that sketchbook section...:poly128:

...as for deciding based on games. I don't really know. I've never owned any of the Play Station line, and the only experience with the games I've had is the God of War series. Plus I've never owned a hand-held, so my only experience on the DS is with the old-school platformers that I've seen in their title line-up from Nintendo's yesteryear like Mario, Zelda, and MegaMan...and Pokemon. Which would probably be the kind of games I would get, aside from things like BrainAge, or homebrew old-school games.

But thats also the thing about the PSP. I'm not sure what games, and how many I will like since it doesn't seem to have as extensive a library as the DS. I'm also completely lacking in any sort of experience with PSN, so I don't know what games are available there, aside from the old Resident Evil series (which I've played on the Gamecube), flOw, and Echochrome. I tried Crisis Core in Best Buy, and while the gameplay was ok, the unskippable cutscenes left me watching the guy behind me play Guitar Hero while they just kept going...

...Disgaea has gotten favorable reviews, and it looks like the GTA series should be fun, along with the Jak & Daxter / Ratchet and Clank style games.

...so until further information is available, I'll probably be moleskining it for the next few weeks... :poly114:
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    PSP - because you can watch 6 full length movies on 1 4gb memory stick :) and play games.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic wrote: »

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17764
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but as games go, I'm keeping my eyes on the iPhone.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well if you're looking into disgaea, do definitely check out jeanne d'arc as well! plays much smoother than the somewhat old-fashioned disgaea imo. on the go it's usually lumines and lumines2 for me. as has been said, psp has sleepmode so if your game takes an age to load initially, that's not much of a concern.
    hacking it and running games from memorystick makes life considerably easier tho.

i'd choose the psp over DS, a much better screen, higher production values on the games and less hassle with esoteric controls. plus nice movie playback and mp3 player functionality if required. and don't forget well working emulation of all kinds of consoles, arcade systems and stuff like scumm-vm. plays psx titles, too.

btw. do the newer (3.90+) homebrew firmwares fully support 8-gig sticks?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    East wrote: »
    Oh, and sometimes I talk to Flynny when we happen to be on the same train and cart. He mostly gets to endure me moaning about my pig flatmates.

so which one are you, i go on the same train and probably by deduction work at the same studio...
    your probably one of those fusion boys...... booo hisss =)

anyway not to derail the thread.

1-looking out of the window at the amazing world out there
    2-talking to people
    3-reading books
    4-drawing
    5-sleeping
    6-DS
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Shepeiro, your powers of deduction are amazing ;D
    Seems more and more the trains are bloody delayed so my sketching has improved 10Xfold haha ;D but alas my patience has gone out the window ;p
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    PSP and get Secret Agent Clank out in NA next week! (shameless plug)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I always just threw on my headphones and listened to music.

Always found the train ride hard to play ds games that focus on the touch screen. Reading was something I did from time to time, I avoided talking to people. I don't like when strangers just start randomly talking to me. Sleeping on the train here is not a smart idea usually. I almost missed my stop a few times from being asleep (beer was partially to blame though)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    so which one are you, i go on the same train and probably by deduction work at the same studio...
    your probably one of those fusion boys...... booo hisss =)
    I'm the somewhat overweight, bald, unshaven guy with black-rimmed glasses, always wearing the grey cotton jacket because I can't find time to buy any new clothes :P
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm currently of the sleeping on the train, listening to music variety sort of commuter...and I really don't think I'm going to be striking up random conversations with people I don't know...I'm mainly just looking to up my personal productivity (get some movies/tv shows watched, video tutorials watched, games played, sketches drawn, etc). I'm going to see if I can grab a moleskine sometime in the next few days and see how things go since it seems to be a pretty even split between DS and PSP...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That ultimately is down to you and your preference on games. Both the DS and the PSP have a nice sized library of great games, go on ign.com or something and look at the library of games and which ones interest you more, then buy whichever system has the most games that look interesting to you. I would recommend both systems.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    For what it's worth to th OP - I've been training it to work for 3 years now and my DS is my constant companion. I'd love a PSP for Monster Hunter, but that's about it.

I love that the DS consistently produces games in the style I grew up with. The SNES and Genesis are not quite dead these days, as they seem to live on in a somewhat evolved form on DS. Plus, 2D games are easy to play on bumpy trains.

I want to like the PSP but so much of what's on that system seems to be a bunch of sub par PSP ports of console games. Plus I don't like to deal with long load times (or really any load times for that matter) and short batt life with portables. But like I mentioned, I'd love to play Monster Hunter- it certainly looks like my cup of tea.