Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Me myself and I WIP

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
Decided that it was time for some lowpoly action concerning ME :poly003:. So I think i've just finished the model. Going for something like PSP specs.
iljawiplo8.jpg
Here are the reference images I made today. They don't line up perfectly though.
Crits and comments most welcome!

Replies

• Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great Japhir!
    Very nice polyflow. :d
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot! Comments about polyflow coming from you mean a lot to me :D
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    good modelling , can't wait to see this textured :) .
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!
    I wanted to keep it at PSP specs, but because of that i only have a 128x128 texture. I think i'm gonna switch over to 256 though, 'cause this is just too pixelly.
    here is a start on the face:
    iljawipye0.jpg
    what do you guys think: 256 or 128?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    If its gonna be 256...we'd better start seeing some serious folds and clothing details in there...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    looks good so far, i like the volume of the model, and the pose.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I switched to 256x256 because then it will be more fun to make :D.
    Pliang: will do ;) here is a very rough blockin on the major folds.
    Mop: thanks!
    iljametjaslc9.gif
    iljacopyva2.jpg
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    yea the polycount seems to high for 128 anyway if u ask me..
    not sure about the crotch folds there. nice block out what so ever.
    might have to tone down some of the folds on the pants ... overall nice tho
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks good so far japhir, bur the head is too small in the uv layout. the foot seems
    to have more space:)
    I would jam the head in to the top left hand corner and put the foot next to the hand or scale down the top a little
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    In fact I think I love how the head is given the same pixel density as the rest. I makes it look very solid and believable, somehow ...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    ruz: i tried getting equal pixel density all across because at this low resolution it is really noticable if some parts have more pixels than the others.

unwrapping was a bit of a problem because i had two giant chunks (leg and torso+arm) and then some very small parts and some parts that actually don't need any texture space (the bottom of the jacket, bottom of the pants, end of the arm etc.) Maybe i should put the pants in a seperate 128x256 texture..
    But i'm already on the way with texturing and i don't really feel like going back to the uv's :poly129: hmm... what do you guys think?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I'd say to keep going at what you've got so far, it looks nice :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah but the head is the most important visual element in a human and deserves more space anyway. just my take on it I guess.

It works well as it is though i am just being nit picky:)
  • FactoriesBurning
    the folds on the sweatshirt need some love. remember that each fold has it's own lightest point and darkest point. just making dark streak does not read as a fold. try painting using a real sweatshirt under light as reference.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    good progress .
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz: yeah your right about that, will keep it in mind the next time around ;).
    FactoriesBurning: These folds where just very rough blockins, i was going to define them better soon.
    3DGURU: thanks:poly120:

So I took some new reference pictures, but this time from 10 metres far so i would have less perspective distortion. (and also right before the sun rise so the lighting was more global.) I edited to model to fit the new references and restarted the texture because i felt like doing so :poly124:. Just a quick color blockin, going to add detail soon.
    iljawipzu6.jpg
    Crits and comments welcome!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    iljawipfe6.jpg
    damn, making it look like me with 3 pixels for the eyes is a pain in the ass :P.

EDIT: lol the z from my Ctrl+z is visible ^^
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh here is the new reference i spoke of earlier by the way:
    Click me
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The mesh looks really nice, though the texture needs some love. I don't know if its a good thing or not, but I can spot one of your textures at a single glance.
    Do you ever change your opacity settings from 100% when you paint your textures? You seem to have really solid shapes in your texture without much gradient or blending between them. Which oddly enough has worked fairly well in this case. Though in some areas it just looks like a blotches of colour.

Keep going, mate. You're only getting better and better... Seriously!

-caseyjones
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks casey! i'll work on it. And you are correct, i only work with hard brushes with the opacity set to 100% and pen pressure. The pants deserve most attention, but i think i'm first gonna re-uv me like Ruz said earlier, because making him look like me sucks with so few pixels to push.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay update!
    Again I took some new reference images ;) because I found my moms camera which has optical zoom and thus (god I love that word ;)) much better quality. will make a perfect color palette for my texture :D.
    I adjusted the model, the uv's and started working on my face. Doesn't really resemble me yet but i'm working on that.
    iljawipeh5.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think you'd almost be served by working at 2x resolution and scaling down to get the likeness. The new UV arrangement is much better I think.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm that might work, but then i have way less controll than i currently do. I like working true sise. thanks!
    I think i finished the jeans now, still gotto do the jacket and hands and retouch the face and shoes. (especially the hair).
    iljametjasxa4.gif
    iljawipbt2.jpg
    crits and comments welcome!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Good work man, I think it looks excellent. The proportions are great, the shapes of the clothes came out really nice. Maybe the could use a little less sparkle, just lower the value a tad. Awaiting the tight version then :-)
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    yeah man, very solid, it looks a little to bright on the pants, lower the highlights just a little. Just try it, but you don't want the character to turn out boring, or dull, so just try, and let us take a looksee...k

GOOD STUFF!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    that's pretty nice man. i'm wondering what your thinking is when you pick your colors??
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot guys!
    snowfly: thanks! what do you mean by sparkle? the flickering dots in the turnaround? they appeared because my magic wand's tolerance was set too low :S.
    spug: i'll try it and show a side by side comparison soon!
    john_warner: No thinking involved in picking my colors, since i use the colorpicker on my reference image :D.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    digging the uv layout now. looking forward to the finished thing. jeans look particularly nice
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Huge improvement, dawg.
    Nothing to new to add to what has already been said, just showing the love.

-caseyjones
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    ehehe i meant the highlights in his eyes, they're just a tad too bright compared to the surrounding values. :-) nitpicking!