Home Technical Talk

Learning MaxScript (Tutorials?)

mod
Hey all. I've recently decided that it would benefit me to learn MaxScript.

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can find some good tutorials for a beginner and such.

also if anyone is particularly good with it maybe they can share some tips, or even point out some less than obvious things that should be known about it.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looked in the Max help? :)

They have quite a lot of stuff just covering the basics and some sample scripts which they go through step by step.

Combine that with doing stuff and looking in the Maxscript Listener with the macro recorder turned on, and you should get a pretty good idea of how stuff is put together.

If you really need something more, I can recommend the CG-Academy maxscript DVDs:
    http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_maxscript/dvds_MAXScript_intermediate_1/dvds_maxscript_fundamentals_01.php

You can probably make a good start of it without any DVDs though, as long as you're patient and take things one step at a time.

I always find it helps to try and think of stuff which is taking up more of your time than you think it should, then thinking about how you can make that task easier, and work out if it's possible to script something to help you.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    thanks MoP, yeah I meant to read the Help files but then I got sidetracked and totally forgot XD.

found some videos too at scriptspot.com, gonna watch them later as well !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still learning and so far the MaxScript ref files are great, but are chalked full of programmer-ese and sometimes light on examples. I suggest checking out other scripts, and consulting any programmer type people you might know. The ref sometimes assumes you know a fair bit of basic programing knowledge/work flow which can leave you scratching your head but make perfect sense to someone else with a little more programing experience.

Dub over at Maxforums wrote up a series of tutorials aimed at teaching artists MaxScript. It was my first exposure to MaxScript and it was pretty painless. It covers most of the basics loops, functions and UI rollout creation.
    http://www.maxforums.org/thread.aspx?tid=414523

I also found the MaxScript Essentials book handy and use it as reference when the MaxScript ref fails to give me enough info.
    http://www.amazon.com/MAXScript-Essentials-Second-Autodesk-Maxscript/dp/0240809327
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thanks for the links Vig. I actually had that book uh, bookmarked, and was planning to check it out but there weren't many reviews. I'll probably pick it up when I get my next paycheck. Thanks!
  • romi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks MoP & Vig for the links! i'm gonna have to pick up maxscript one of these days.

cheers,
    Rom
    snowblindstudios.com