Home Technical Talk

Sculpting Cloth/Folds

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
Anyone have any cool tricks or tips for zbrushing creases and folds in cloth? I'm having trouble getting something satisfactory.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    This is a good reference. I know Hogarth draws characters weird, but the man knew cloth.

http://books.google.com/books?id=WtOudPF...v0ooJhdVohtlOCg
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    hey SyaPed.

starting by taking some good photo ref is always a sure way to glory. i don't know how many shots i took of myself wearing a suit jacket and pants.

also, some good things to remember. folds tend to organize themselves in diamond-like shapes, at least that's what i've noticed. like where they gather at the bottoms of pants or along the arms. then you have more swooping folds on things like a loin cloth or on the back of a coat. lots of variables. the tighter the fabric is to the form, the thinner the folds, the loser, the broader. folds hook between support points. hope all that nonsense i just said can be organized into something coherent in your mind.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    cant wait for the day we can stop concerning ourselves with this cloth sculpting malarky, and get something really interactive. no matter how artistically it's done, sculpted cloth always irks me.

but laying down folds in zbrush, you can take the usual approach of working from the broad shapes to the finer details. pick your reference depending on the weight of the cloth you are sculpting, demoncage has some pretty nice guidelines to go by.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw a demo of Maya 2008's nCloth and nucleaus and I would say we're only a few years away from cloth sims at that level, snowfly.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i'd prefer not to sculpt them, as nice as it can be at times. it can be such a complex physical problem to solve by hand if you really wanted to get serious about it. too many variables to process.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've been messing around with Max's cloth stuff today and it seems to work pretty well.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mean for creating the source model MoP?

i don't know, it's all a matter of context for me. i enjoyed the hell out of sculpting the folds on my last piece, in fact it was really calming for the most part. but yeah, when game tech evolves to include real time cloth, it's a no-brainer.
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    As far as actual Zbrush settings go (for ZB3.1), I like using the pinch tool with BrushMod set up to around 90. So as you stroke the pich tool across the surface, it pulls it up in a wrinkle-like fashion.