Home Technical Talk

I have a problem being normal...

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
I have generated a normal map from zbrush using this tutorial and am trying to apply it to my low poly model in 3ds Max using this tutorial. The file is a bitmap(.bmp). When I finish, the model in the viewport turns invisible.

Is this a video card issue or am I doing something wrong? I am working with a laptop with the GMA950 onboard video card.

Also, if there is a better way to do this, please hook me up with some tutorials!

Thanks.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It may well be because of your onboard video card. It seems that the GMA950 supports pixel shader 2.0 model, I think that Max's viewport rendering of normal maps might need ps 3.0.
    Although I could be wrong there... it sounds like the most likely issue.

It's also possible that there's an unsupported light in your scene - if you have any "Sky Light" light types in your scene, try deleting them, I know Max doesn't like showing real time normal map previews when there's a Sky Light around.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    It's probably the vid card, i'm having same problem, cant use shaders on my old piece of shit.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    You can use scanline renderer instead. Slower, but still it should let you at least see your normalmap.
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks! At least now I know i'm doing it right.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    [ QUOTE ]
    It may well be because of your onboard video card. It seems that the GMA950 supports pixel shader 2.0 model, I think that Max's viewport rendering of normal maps might need ps 3.0.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shader model 2.0 works fine for viewing/creating normal maps in max. I've been using a laptop with an older gpu that only supports 2.0 for about a year now for 3D, and its never given me any problems in Max viewing normals.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    In the interest of not cluttering things up with more threads, and as it relates, I'll post here.

I have set up the "Normal Bump" shader, and it works. The problem I'm having is that I'm working with some large leaves, so I have two polygons that are coplaner, but facing away from eachother. The problem is that using the DirectX shader seems to make all polys double sided, where the back side is just black. So while the model works fine in the engine, in Max everything is z-fighting with the poly below it.

Is there a way to turn this double sidedness off? (no I don't have double sided selected in the material)

Thanks
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Right click the object, go to properties, and check the "backface cull" option. by default Max9 no longer backface culls, as it is slower to do so in the viewport (but it also leads to artifacts like that).
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, working with Max 8 and Backface Culling is on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Right click the object, go to properties, and check the "backface cull" option. by default Max9 no longer backface culls, as it is slower to do so in the viewport (but it also leads to artifacts like that).

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was one of those "speed boosts" they did to Max9. Just like "hair and fur was going to run and render faster" but all they did was lower the default settings.

Tumor, is there some reason you need two polys like that? Can't you turn on 2 sided faces in the material rollout? Most engines support this also. With them that close you might get some z-fighting in game. Sounds like you're doubling your poly count when you don't need to?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I can do 2 sided, and it will work, it just seems stupid to me that it puts a black back face on everything in the viewport with that material on it.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't stopping me from working, it's just a minor annoyance while I do.

Edit: Actually that just makes things worse in viewport (though admittedly better in engine) as now the undersides of all those polys are still just black, rather than showing the texture properly.

Anyone know WHY it does this in the first place?