Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

what ive been working on this month...

rlostfrost
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
rlostfrost polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys this is what ive been working on this month...Im not done modeling it yet but i have plans to normal mapping it too, im researching normal mapping right now...any good tutorials? Let me know what u all think.

Kang_diesel001.jpg

Replies

• Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    MoP has a general normal mapping tutorial (some of the images aren't loading for me, so if you want, I can email you a zip of the images)

Poop has a character based one

Very nice so far. Couple things...

The chest is looking really skinny inbetween the pecs and gut. His arms in general are looking too "bubbly". Maybe a half loop on the knuckles for animation's sake?

I really like the chunky look of the chain, but chains are designed so they can be wrapped and drapped and such. On the chain you have right now, there isn't enough clearance between the links to allow it to bend correctly. This will result in a kind of bendy-stick sort of weapon.

chains.jpg

Head, hands, legs all look cool. GOGOGO.
  • Iruru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iruru polycounter lvl 18
    nice work so far man. ide have to agree with spacey on the chains.
    are you going to armor him up? or is he naked-esk?
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    Im loving the head!
    Also loving the hands, but I feel like he could be a bit more bulky. Right now he feels kinda weak and light frown.gif

I always love ogres with chains!! kick ass!
  • rlostfrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey thanks for the advice on the chains, i'll loosen them up more but keep it a little stiff. and thanks for the links for the tutorials...

Iruru whats up man!!! yeah i don't really know if i want 2 put armour on him yet. my concept drawings 4 this character has rags covering his jewels! he will have a few accessories besides that i guess i could add some armour...

Thats funny flow3d, after i read ur comment i looked at my model and i agree that he's looking a bit week. I'll bulk him up more thanks...

thanks everyone 4 the advice, please keep the advice comming smile.gif
  • Iruru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iruru polycounter lvl 18
    i think what may be making him look weak is that his bicep and shoulders are so much smaller then the forearm (hopefully spelled that right) and pecs, i think if you start there, youll see some drastic changes in strength.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is really cool. I did a paintover of some porportions I think would be cool, But this is your creation so do what you feel is cool.
    Kang_diesel001ghostriderpaintover.jpg
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I disagree with Iruru, I think that keeping the large forearm-to-bicep ratio will keep him looking really burly. ghost_rider's paintover is looking really nice as well.

loincloths are so five minutes ago, make him nekkid....
  • rlostfrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay i've been gone 4 a while was in an accident but im good 2 work on my computer now...i apreciate the comments everyone, please keep them comming...so far i wasn't feeling the chain either so i got rid of it. also i changed some of the anatomy, i want him to be semi fit if that makes any sense..i do plan on normal mapping him too so i'll have 2 pick up zbrush soon..thanks kang_sheet02.jpg
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I like it, the spikes on the shoulders make him look a lot more bad ass. The anklet and the glove/handcover go well together. Good luck with the normal map
  • michalczyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice work! I like this guy, especially bacause he is muscular and with a belly, sort of more natural looking medieval executioner type baddie. Now, I know that he is not supposed to be real-looking proportion wise, but his forearms look bigger than his upper arms. I would make his upper arms more massive. Great work otherwise, looking forward to se him mapped smile.gif
  • rlostfrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Penzer, i'll try my best w/ zbrush...michalczyk i did try making his forearms bigger on purpose, i'll try 2 make it look more like it belongs like that. thanks 4 the observation ppl!