Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

L96 texturing help

Hey guys I'm quite new to texturing. Been following Tim Bergholtz's tutorial on texturing the AKM and implemented that on my L96 sniper rifle... mainly for texturing practice. Here are my pics.. any critique/feedback would be really helpful.

Replies

• gev4_94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gev4_94 null
    Hi, I am not a texturing expert but the body looks more like a wall to me. I think you've overdone the bumpiness and added unnecessary details. Make it more shinier and look at real objects :smile: The metal looks good though I like the scope. But the body needs some more work try maybe another color like the creamy color or maybe with camouflage textures :smile: That blue color looks somehow boring and monotone to me (but it's just my opinion, not trying to offend your work anyhow)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    The materials are pretty well defined up close but when you pull back and look at the whole object, they seem high-frequency and repetitive. There's a good amount of very fine detail, but little variation at a larger scale.

Especially for a weapon that has a good amount of scratches and dust accumulated, there should be "large scale" variation as well like heavily-rubbed handhold areas, oil leaking out from specific recesses, large and unique scrapes or impacts, etc. Ensuring it maintains visual interest at any distance.

Outside the texturing the model itself could be a bit more interesting to help support the material, I'm not an expert with this gun but a quick search shows most of the furniture setups have a lot of bolts and stuff that add visual interest and breakup to the large plastic areas.

I recommend including any text or icons you can find reference for too, they add a lot to the overall look.