Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio feedback

Eggy_3D
null
Offline / Send Message
Eggy_3D null
Hello, all I need some feedback on my portfolio work please. I've been applying for jobs but I'm not getting any success is there something wrong with the work I produce or I'm lacking something in the skills set any feedback would be helpful thanks.   

portfolio link:   https://www.artstation.com/eggy_3d

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Hello Eggy_3D! Welcome to the forum! Well, after looking to your portfolio, my biggest problem with it is the amount of polygons your props have. You abuse using chamfer.Most of those polygons do not contribute to the silhouette so they should be represented on the normals. 
    My recomendation for now is that you start making high poly models. Once they look right, try to make low poly models (try to look examples from games) and understand how baking works.
    Compare your model:

with this one:

You can see the difference in polygons right away.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Here are some notes I made for your city environment.

1. Shadow colors need to be tweaked to show lighting from the sky and surrounding environments. This is typically achieved using a skylight and global illumination (this is usually done through baking in UE4 although there are also real time solutions like LPV). All in all, your shadows right now only look like they were lit from the sun which is unrealistic.
    2. For objects in the background, they need to be affected by atmospheric fog. Very similar to # 1, where color changes based around where they're located in a scene.
    3. Very low resolution texture used here for asphalt. Also double check the scale. 
    4. Windows could use more detail than just a grey color. Usually, this type of cheat (i.e tinted windows) is used for cars. On a building, it's far too obvious. Either throw on some fake reflections or have the windows borded up with wood (or for a more interesting environment, both!). 
    5. Low poly trees. The style also clashes with the environment. Either needs to be realistic or you need to make the entire environment a hand-painted/stylized one. Avoid mixing both. 
    6. Street is desolate. Where are the cars? If this is an abandoned city, you need to create an environment with a mood that is closer to being say... post apocalyptic or a war zone. If this is habitable, then include cars, businesses with public adverts, more lights etc.

I also believe you need to work more on your textures. Your red bricks right now actually appear too dark.
    Look at Marmosets PBR guide, and the only materials that should be very dark are charcoal or rubber. 
    https://www.marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/

It's important you create every material carefully, because a real time environment should be able to be lit under any condition and still look realistic (i.e morning, noon, sunset, night time). 

• Eggy_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eggy_3D null
    Thanks for the feedback much appreciated  :)  
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Hello Eggy_3D! Welcome to the forum! Well, after looking to your portfolio, my biggest problem with it is the amount of polygons your props have. You abuse using chamfer.Most of those polygons do not contribute to the silhouette so they should be represented on the normals. 

Although I do agree silhouette is super important, for LOD0 in this generation of games, lots of detail is being put into areas where you used to allow only the normal to handle it. Then transition out relatively quickly to LOD1, so that upon close inspection the details look amazing.

@Eggy_3D - I'd suggest doing some more research and practicing things like:
    - pixel density
    - scale
    - modern texturing tools and pbr
    - modern modeling methods and baking workflows from high to low
    - lighting.

Best bet would be to check out some Gumroads - quality teachings for extremely affordable prices.