Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beneath the waves, underwater city

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manuelfuentes13 polycounter lvl 6
I started this scene for the Artstation Beneath the waves challenge but I couldn't finish on time, family and work got in the way in December and then starting the year I was sick for over a week and after that I had to work on an art test for a job at a game studio that I ended up not getting :s, but since I don't like to leave things on finish I will try to keep on working on this scene and finish it because I really liked the style and idea of the concept.

I wanted to focus on stylized textures with substance designer and texturing the whole scene with tileable textures to make it stand apart from other scenes from my portfolio.

Inspired by the amazing concept art by Constant Le Gall .

3ds max models:

vray blockouts in 3ds max:

Some underwater stylized substances:

setting up the scene and testing the different substances and basic lighting inside UE4:

Replies

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus said:
    wow your pretty good! can't wait to try substance painter :)
    Thanks! but no substance painter on this one, just designer, I want to try and use fully procedural textures for this scene, on my previous works I used substance painter extensively and it is amazing. 
  • GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    That contrast of blue and red is amazing! Even if you zoom out far far away, it is still captures your look... ehm... yeah xD. Great job!!!
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played a bit with the lighting a little bit, I was getting too much sunlight for it to look like to bottom of the sea so I reduced it's intensity. Hopefully I can figure out how to get back the green glow in the background form when I had a stronger sunlight effect on the fog. 

Progress has been a little slow but I'm going to try a spend more time with this scene starting today. I might give those rock formations a quick zbrush pass tomorrow. :) 
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I tweaked the camera some more to get a beter lens distortion and adjused the depth of field so that I don't waste time sculpting the elements on the background. 
    I also added some more lights on the flowers and tweaked their material in substance to get better detail on their surface. I'm starting to like the overall composition and flow of shapes on the scene a lot more, I still need to balance the textures on the building, some look too dark (might add some more spotlights like with the flowers) and others look too clean and bright to be underwater.
    Also added some paralax occlusion to the ground material, I feel like it looks  alittle bit to bright and needs some more contrast. 

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grass!!!! I added some ocean grass and also tweaked the textures to even out the brightness level so that wasn't too much contrast in the unlit textures before the light was baked to avoid it looking blown out or too dark once I applied the post process to the scene. Not sure if I should make the grass 3d, I kind of like how it looks for now. 
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubbles!!! next step is detailing the rocks in the background, extra details to the build, testing some 3d plants instead of the one I have currently, and try to figure out why the skylight is making my landscape texture look washed out :S. 

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    really cool! something about the scale seems off, it doesn't seem like as large a building as in the concept, it looks more like a toy. maybe the red glowing balls/plants are a bit too big? not sure.
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah  I should probably add some smaller elements to fix that(maybe small seacreatures on the ground or small objects that might have fallen from the surface), thanks for the feedback :)@Tectonic
  • tythomas063
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Maybe placing a small sign on the building's side can help with the scale. Small creatures will definitely help with that. 

As for the lights overall including on the building, I think it needs some volumetric light/fog considering the scene is under the water. Little of the bloom might help with that too. 
    Something like this is what I'm talking about: 

Other than that, I absolutely love what you did with the color overall. The props, buildings, grass/coral reef, red pod, and sand looks super amazing. Can't wait to see it done! :) 
  • Fitblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fitblood polycounter lvl 9
    I remember seeing this earlier on in the contest. I'm glad you came back to it and are finishing it off. Can't wait to see more.
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message