Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Not My Car - Art Dump

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17

It's been forever since I posted anything to Polycount. So I'm proud to return with some of the assets that our artists here at Art Bully Productions made for the battle royale car combat game Not My Car. Not My Car is a cross between Twisted Metal and PUBG. It's currently in pre alpha. If all goes well there will be much more to content to come and the game will be expanded into a full release. 

If you're interested in joining the Alpha, you can sign up here: https://notmycar.com/

Replies

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    nice work, thanks for posting. It this your work or one of your artists? I have fond memories of Twisted Metal so if this game is anything like it i am sure i will enjoy. 
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    nice work, thanks for posting. It this your work or one of your artists? I have fond memories of Twisted Metal so if this game is anything like it i am sure i will enjoy. 
    Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I'm posting on behalf of the art team. We had two artists work on this project thus far. 
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Art Bully Productions is continuing work on the vehicle-based combat game Not My Car. We've made some additional weapons that we'll be showing off this week. The first art drop for today is the Rocket Launcher. 

The game is in early Alpha. You can sign up for the closed Alpha here: https://notmycar.com/

• WilliamB_Art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamB_Art triangle
    Awesome models mate! Cheers!

• Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome models mate! Cheers!

Thanks!

We're showcasing the second weapon drop this week from the Game. Today is the Gatling Gun.

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    NICE ASSETS Marcus! One question, do you use any special technique when texturing?I mean, when a 3d asset is "small" there is no problem with texel density, but when you have a vehicle for example... How do you set the UVs? Are you able to use more than one texture or you just use tile textures besides a base one?
    I am a weapon artist and the other day I finished a Lewis machine Gun (a personal project). I needed to use 4K textures for it (not for the magazine or bullet of course), and still, it looked like low res.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE ASSETS Marcus! One question, do you use any special technique when texturing?I mean, when a 3d asset is "small" there is no problem with texel density, but when you have a vehicle for example... How do you set the UVs? Are you able to use more than one texture or you just use tile textures besides a base one?
    I am a weapon artist and the other day I finished a Lewis machine Gun (a personal project). I needed to use 4K textures for it (not for the magazine or bullet of course), and still, it looked like low res.
    Hey Marco,

Thanks for the comments! Sorry for the delayed reply, as this thread fell off of my radar for a few days. Anyways, regarding your question. For vehicles and weapons, it's a case by case scenario. Vehicle assets in most cases use more than one texture sheet, especially if it has an interior. At the very least, you'd have a UV set for the exterior, and a UV set for the interior. For this vehicle, we had more than three uv sets.  As for weapons, we used one UV set and packed the uv sheets as tightly as possible, maximizing every inch of space. We overlapped areas where needed and reduced the size of some of the UV islands that wouldn't be seen as much as the larger more visible areas. Therefore, you don't have to have your UV's be 1 to 1 in scale. As a side note, the weapon mounts are on their own UV sheets. These mounts are shared with all of the weapons. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the comments! Sorry for the delayed reply, as this thread fell off of my radar for a few days. Anyways, regarding your question. For vehicles and weapons, it's a case by case scenario. Vehicle assets in most cases use more than one texture sheet, especially if it has an interior. At the very least, you'd have a UV set for the exterior, and a UV set for the interior. For this vehicle, we had more than three uv sets.  As for weapons, we used one UV set and packed the uv sheets as tightly as possible, maximizing every inch of space. We overlapped areas where needed and reduced the size of some of the UV islands that wouldn't be seen as much as the larger more visible areas. Therefore, you don't have to have your UV's be 1 to 1 in scale. As a side note, the weapon mounts are on their own UV sheets. These mounts are shared with all of the weapons. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks
    Yeees. I started to doing that: reducing UV islands depending on how far they are from the camera (if the weapons are for a FPP) or how occluded they are. But still, I had my doubts since cars would be a more difficult case for this. But this solves my wonderings. Thanks Marcus!!