Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Conform spline to another spline

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Toku polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I have a question regarding the spline tools in max. I have two splines, 1 contains the Xpos information, 2 contains the YZpos information for the points/curves. I need to conform spline 2 so that it moves all verts on X to the closest point/segment on spline 1. Any ideas how I can do this? Manually doing it takes too long and messes up the tangents and FFD isnt accurate enough. Few screens of what I mean:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One possibility... extrude spline 1 on the Y axis, and use Conform to deform spline 2 only along the X axis, to fit onto the extruded mesh.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if the conform brush would work?

Maybe snap each vert?

Why not just duplicate the spline?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It would be a pretty straightforward  script to write assuming they have the same number  of points.  

I guess if you really didn't want to write a script. You could extrude both, use procutter to slice the end off one and extract a curve from the resulting mesh. 

I'm somewhat curious as to what this is for.  If its data driven,  why construct two splines in the first place? 

• Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys, I will try the suggested methods, One problem with using the conform tool is that the verts will move but the spline was created with a bezier curve so the control points wont update correctly. However I can use the spline normalize to add in enough verts to create a curve.  Any idea if you can generate a spline for the area the geometry is intersecting? or would I need to perform a Boolean and convert the geo into a spline?

As for the application, It is just some hard-surface modelling, However I am using reference and there are some visual landmarks on it which define the two splines, which create a shape for a third one. 
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah, that's how i would do it. Boolean and "create shape from selection" on the resulting edges.