Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Star Tracer: "Privyet komrade, the Revolution has arrived." [Overwatch fan art]

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    WIP 30

Getting close to finalizing the High Poly. Adjusted the internal silhouette to have more "dutch angles." Any thoughts?

uBrnC3O.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having some weird trouble baking out the normal map for the gun. I'm doing what I usually do, which usually works, but I get weird seams.

Updated the materials on the character model to get closer to the cleaner look of the game.

PDvA85k.jpg
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    Tracer really does have a pair of long legs. (unrealistically)

The thing I feel about overwatch are the character's Iconic silhouettes. I feel your tracer's silhouette does resemble tracer's, but not very. Maybe the thigh is too thick? Maybe you decided to let her look like that. The black piece with a red star feels unnatural. White feels unnatural as well. You should try different tint of white to fit the soviet colour a bit more naturally. This white & red combination is too aggressive.

I wish I did spend my time more wisely and worked on such project myself, which I didn't. So shame on me. Keep up the great work.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'm redoing this now because I want to join the Overwatch team and this could be vastly improved given the current examples now.

Here's the concept I'm working on.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 3

Gave her a more appropriate hat, jacket design, and color scheme.

• RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    Nice dude, It's neat to see you return to this one! I'm interested to see where you take her - the new design is already far stronger than your original. What made you decide to revisit Tracer here rather than attempt something new?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It FEELS easier to do this than finish the Hammerhead I was working on a couple months back.  Want to get this done specifically for an application I'm going to send in soon.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, here is my ten cents.  If your end goal is to really have a shot at a Character Artist spot on the OW team, I would suggest pushing your design much further.  In fact, I would even go so far as potentially creating your own unique character that would fit into the OW world.  A fanart skin is one thing but if you want to impress the guys on that team enough for them to give you an art test, you need to raise the bar.  I would say Tim Moreel's custom OW fanart character is a great example:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZOe4Z

This is the bar you absolutely want to hit.  And it being completely unique turns heads.  Doing a Tracer skin could look cool but I'm not sure it quite catches anyone's eye.  How would you even discern it from something already in game and in the end, it's somewhat of a copy of an existing asset.  Again, this is my opinion and its totally your decision in the end.  I think the Reinhardt skin was a solid attempt but one downside is you didn't do a head sculpt.  All that being said, I am interested in how this proceeds regardless.  Good luck man!