Home Career & Education

Need advice on career start

null
Offline / Send Message
DavidM87 null
Hi everyone,

My name is Dave and i'm new here. I came here looking for some advice on starting a career in the gaming industry. I'm hoping someday i'll be working as a 3D Artist somewhere in the world. I'm mainly a self thought student but i have completed some courses in the past, this is what got me interested in 3D Art in the first place.

At this point in time i'm getting help in putting a CV together and am hoping to apply for any entry level positions that pop up. So my question is there any advice you could give me? And any advice for my portfolio would also be greatly appreciated. I feel like just scraping the whole portfolio and stating a new. Maybe even take up an online course to improve?

portfolio link: https://david_meehan.artstation.com/

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Hey David,

There are some good resources on the wiki that you may want to take a look at.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

I'm sure others will chime in as well, but I think it's important to determine what type of artist you want to be, and maybe some companies you want to work for and develop your portfolio around that. Do you want to work on characters, environments, stylized, realistic, etc...? Take a look at some of your favorite artists and try to emulate their portfolio.

Since you are focusing on the game industry, you also will want to show that you know all the steps of the pipeline, including low poly, UVW unwrapping, baking, texturing, etc..  Right now your portfolio looks a bit unfocused and only has high poly renders, so that would be a good place to start IMO.

Hope that helps, good luck.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I echo @CJE's comments plus additionally when tailoring a game art focused portfolio, recruiters want to see in-engine content and also checkout this board's sticky, there's a wealth of industry resources too eyeball - goodluck.