Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Sophie Robbins

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SophieRobbins polycounter lvl 3
I figured it was about time I put a digital sketchbook together on here, so here I am.

I'm Sophie, I'm an aspiring 3D artist. I like character art most, but I'm arguably better at hard edge modelling (ain't that always the way?)

I'd love constructive criticism on my work, I'm always looking to improve as much as I can.

I just finished work on this girl

This is her before some post in Photoshop

My next projects are finishing my fanart of Eretria from the Shannara Chronicles: 

and I'm working on this sculpt, too:

It's my first time working with a male body, so it's... not very good, I acknowledge that. I'm also still trying to figure out a good workflow for toes and fingers without dynamesh eating them like pacman. 

I'm proud of his face though. :D

Anyway, I'm gonna try and update this thread every couple of days at least. I'm always working, so that shouldn't be hard.

Thanks for reading ♥

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Try turning down the polish setting with Dynamesh, that may save your fingers and toes. Also, you can spread them out a little bit via transpose tool before the Dynamesh, then when you are done with the dynameshing process move them back closer together.

• SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try turning down the polish setting with Dynamesh, that may save your fingers and toes. Also, you can spread them out a little bit via transpose tool before the Dynamesh, then when you are done with the dynameshing process move them back closer together.

Thank you so much! I did some more work on him today and that's the technique I used to do it (along with some zremesher and some "preserve groups" nonsense)

Did some more work on this guy today. I changed his face a little to make him a bit more recognisable, and I did his entire body. I find hands simple, they even look quite nice. Feet are killer. I'm also not sure the proportions are particularly good. Blargh. 

That's okay, he's going to be put in fancy clothes anywho.
  • SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screwed around with making a procedural eye in Substance Designer. That's my whole day, right there.

• SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tweaked it a little more. Much happier with it now. 

Downsides of my life currently: Once I shut Substance Designer, I cannot open that graph ever again. It sucks up all my memory. I know it's my PC but it doesn't make me less frustrated.
  • SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the eye a whole bunch today, I also changed the refraction settings for more realism in place.

I worked on Eretria more but I'm considering writing her off as a bad job. She's too complex and I'm not pleased with how she looks. Have some caps anyway :3

• SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple extra images of the eyes:

(I'm not sure why there's a line through them, it isn't there on SD.)
  • SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Excuse the poorly baked normals, clean up is next.
  • SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today was a bad day for mental health and every time I looked at that fella up there as a model I was just hit by how poor it is.  :/

Think I might do a new one. I'm just not pleased with him. We'll see.

Anyway, today I did some Substance Designer: 

• SophieRobbins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shelved that dude for now, it just wasn't feeling right for me at all. Had a busy week. Here's my latest WIP: