Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Phoenix Xayah

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
fishsnack polycounter lvl 3
Final Beauty-Image:

Hi :),

I want to give it a try and join this contest. I am going to create Xayah with a phoenix skin (or infernal but phoenix sounds better for her :-P).

I was looking for proper references and these are my moodboards:

I am not the best concept artist, so I used a reference as background and made an overpaint to get the proportions right. At the end I came up with three ideas. I already added those orange highlights because I want them to be the main focus in the final skin. Everything is wip not final.

A is a more athletic and modern version of Xayah. I think Xayah will work also very well without her hoodie so I left it. I like the simplicity in this version. When I give the suit a dark color and her wings a red it will pop up really great I guess. But I think it is too far away from the original Xayah.
B is a more elegant version. The bracelet, the "lower leg band" (I don't know if there is an english word for?! :D), the nailcaps and the belt would be golden. I also left her hoodie here.
C is the wild and untamable version. It's the closest one to the original design of Xayah in my opinion. But I think the detail is too high for a MOBA game character, I should reduce that for a better readability in-game.

I prefer B and C but would love to hear what you think and what I could improve. :)

Next steps are some face concepts.

Replies