Home Career & Education

Games; What do you know and what do you want? - Artist requesting your knowledge and expertise.

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DannyArt triangle

Hello fellow Polycounters, Gamers, Artists and supporters of digitally created worlds!

I am Danny and currently working on my "Master in Game Technology" in "NHTV Breda - The Netherlands" and I am asking for your expertise ​in the field of games and/or art in general. This questionnaire should give me a better insight into what gamers and and/or artists want, know and need in and around games.

Would you help me out by filling in this questionnaire? The questionnaire should (per field) take around 10 to 15 minutes to complete and will help me (and hopefully gamers and artists in general) greatly now or later on.

The questionnaire is made with Google Forms and can be found at https://goo.gl/forms/7QW1pMGWQim5yRXR2

If possible, do share the questionnaire as much as possible to get a larger amount of reactions to collect and get a clearer picture into the minds of gamers and/or artist.

Thank you all in advance! If you want, leave any comments, feedback or reactions below.

Danny Ivan Flu (www.dannyart.nl)

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This questionere has a lot of directed or targeted questions. I felt that a lot of times it was hard to answer questions unless you are , using Maya, works with environment art, uses quixel, and has a lower skill level. maybe worth mentioning what your target audience is to the questionnaire somewhere in the post :)

in many cases there wasnt an "other" option when you really needed one. for example the "what settings do you disable first to optimise a game". Id say this is 100% dependent on the game, genre, platform and art style, and there isnt really a universal answer for it.
  • DannyArt
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Hi Lotet, Thank you for your feeback and help. You are completely right, I should have defined the targer audience more clearly in the description and should have therefore added the "other" option to all of those questions that needed them. I will run through all of the questions and see what I can change and add.
    Thanks again!
    -Danny
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Your questionnaire seems to target mostly students and beginners.
    Some of the questions are very strange. For example:

"Do Photogrammetry generated assets create a more realistic and more efficient result over manually/procedurally created assets?"
    heavily depends - thats why pretty much everyone answered
    "Maybe a little bit of both."

"If a game runs smoothly and you have more than enough performance left, what would you increase or enable first?"
    100% depends on the game you are developing - why every possible answer has been used pretty much equaly.

"For what kind of games do you want to make assets the most?"
    Does it make any difference? - also why every possible genre has been checked pretty much equaly.
  • DannyArt
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Hi defragger! You are indeed right that the questionnaire has been made for mostly students and beginners. I am trying to get a broad idea of what data I should collect and what data I should discard in later on rounds of data collection. I thought it was a good idea to start of in a broad way and see wher it goes, but indeed; it turned out this wasn't the perfect way of collecting data. I will incorporate all of your feedback in later on data collection rounds for sure :). Thank you for the feedback and time you took to fill in the forms.
    -Danny