Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sellsword Knight ( Mutton Chop Dave )

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
Here is a character I'm working on to refine my production pipeline for game characters.

I started this off originally as a human head retopology exercise from a zbrush sculpt, and eventually I kept adding stuff to it until I decided this could be a good way to test out some things while making a full fledged character.

Here is where I'm at right now with everything. I've Finished the armor and textured it, same goes with the head and eyes. And now I'm looking into making some hair bakes and eventually placing some hair cards in the form a beard (or mutton chops)

Replies

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    This is the sculpt that I started with, and the end result of the retopology 

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Speaking as a Dave with a beard, I'm loving this guy. The character is looking great, @Tul_! I think you're effectively leading the eye up to the head with the colors and details, but I feel like the legs are a little lacking in detail that the rest of the character has everywhere else. I don't know if it's too late to go back and add some variation in the armor or adjust some of the design in the greaves or cuisse (the back is fine), but I think that could help push the character further if that's an option for you.

Either way I hope you continue to work on this guy and I can't wait to see how you handle the hair cards and mutton chops. Good luck, man!
  • Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    @dGreenberg Thanks man, I'm hoping to make every bearded Dave proud of this guy haha ! ( p.s. I love your NEXT Girl model, it's rad )

And yes I know exactly what you mean, man. This has been a long time problem of mine where I completely ignore details on the legs ( I even do this in 2D stuff as well, because I'm just not good at legs for some reason ). But thank you for pointing it out, I can still add some extra stuff when I'm gonna add in the weapon. But first I'm gonna kill myself with hair cards until I'm happy with them

This is where I'm at so far. I might have to go back and retexture the hairline at some point, and screw around with the anisotropy settings to get that hair shine ( or not, maybe Dave doesn't use hair products to get that shine )