Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - September & October 2017 (50)

Replies

• antonyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antonyj polycounter lvl 7
    @manuelfuentes13 Yeah thanks! I'll definitely be revisiting that first prop again. Going to concentrate on getting the 2 'flatter' plates done tonight after work, then possibly move onto the cylindrical top over the weekend, time permitting. 

@jewski-bot Nice work there dude! I know what you mean about getting to the texturing stage, less "why the hell is this not working???".

I must admit, I'm enjoying the challenge. Haven't had the inclination to do hard surface stuff for a long time, so creating high poly meshes in 3Ds Max alone has been good to get back into. I'll keep my picture updates for when I've got a significant amount done.

Edit: Some posts at the bottom of page 2 have only just showed up for me. Holy cow @manuelfuentes13 , that is looking fantastic!! Can't wait to see more.

@FuzzyOwl Welcome to the challenge! Nice work, are you tackling all of the props or just selecting a few?
  • FuzzyOwl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FuzzyOwl polycounter lvl 3
    @antonyj I'll be attempting all of the props, at the very least in the timeframe provided, I will be doing all of the larger assets on the top row :) I have a small issue with the image I already provided, when I turn up my metalness, I find that the floater I used to bake down the detail on the low poly has a problem when under direct lighting in Marmoset. Anyone know what causes this/how to fix it? -
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manuelfuentes13 polycounter lvl 6
    @FuzzyOwl Im not quite sure I see the error in the image you attached but if it is a baking error as you say, try setting the smoothing group to 1 for all the polygons in tn the low poly before baking, that usually solves my baking problems. If the error persists maybe open your maps in photoshop and try to locate and blur or paint over the error to fix it. 
  • somePizzaBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somePizzaBoy polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everybody.  First time attempting a polycount challenge and first time attempting a hand-painted prop.  I'm just aiming to get better rather than shooting for perfection.  I just finished up the high-poly, though I will probably redo the skull.  Next will be unwrapping the low-poly, baking, and texturing.  I'm anticipating quite a bit of struggle with the hand-painting part.

@Namic That is amazing!  You really nailed the style of the concept.  Can I ask what your workflow was like for the texturing? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    @apocalypse Also amazing!  I really like the exaggerated shapes.  Extremely envious of your modeling skills.  I can't wait to see the textured version.
  • antonyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FuzzyOwl That looks like a high poly smoothing thing there coming through in your bake. Are you using TurboSmooth in max? If that's the case, just try adding a few horizontal/vertical edge loops (depending on your geometry) to even out the poly distribution across the surface. Looks a bit like pinching in one area from the screen.

@somePizzaBoy Welcome to the challenge! Looking good so far, can't tell if it's just the screenshot but the top cylindrical forms look a little stretched in the Z axis. Are you using floating geo for the rivets and indentations?
  • somePizzaBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somePizzaBoy polycounter lvl 6
    @antonyj Thanks!  I think it is in part to the screenshot, but I did pull down the lower portions of the main cylinders a bit.  To me, that is what the concept looked like, while the main cylinder faces art still perfectly round.  And yes, mostly floating geo for the indents.  Now that I look at it though, the holes on the top part of the door should probably be screws instead.  I'm hoping the baked normals will help with the hand-painting, but this is all pretty new to me.
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Some great entries have appeared since last post!  

@manuelfuentes13, your environment piece is absolutely insane!  The modeling, texturing, and lighting, I can't think of any major criticisms to this piece at the moment, everything looks so good.  I am looking forward to your updates!

@FuzzyOwl, welcome to the challenge!  I think that you're off to a good start.  There are a few things I noticed regarding the hatch textures that may be of help.  If you are using Substance Painter, you may want to export out an ambient occlusion map to help with the exaggeration of extrusions and recesses of panel lines, screw holes, etc.  I'm not sure about the issue that you're having with the floating geo bake.  I have something similar with the radial dial that I'll have to look into when I get to that point in the game.  I think that the stripes might be a bit too worn compared to the rest of the surface.

@Namic, model looks good; you did a very good job interpreting some of the hard to see pieces in the concept art.  Good going!

Lastly, I've got my own update.  I'm taking a break from model fixes so I can focus on getting some textures built.  Here's the first hatch, rendered in Toolbag 2 using 512X512 textures sets composed of albedo / roughness / metallic / normal / ambient occlusion.  It seems..... "okay" I guess?  I think there's some patterned wear that really needs to be broken up along with some minor variations with the materials, nothing too drastic, but maybe for the hatch frame, clamps, and latch.  Please tell me what you all think.

• antonyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jewski-bot Bakes have come out well. Only thing I would say RE textures is the uniformity of the wear like you already mentioned. I'm going a bit rogue on the concept with my texturing, but that's more of an exercise for me to try different things out in Sub Painter.

@somePizzaBoy Ah cool, looking back at the concept now I see what you mean. Be great to see the progress you make.

Got the 2 'plates' modeled and baked on Friday after work, and got the high and low poly done for the cylindrical 'lid' mesh done today. Quite happy with where it's at, so will spend a bit of time tonight UV'ing this and possibly get the bakes done. I'm going away to Spain on Friday so I'll miss the end of the challenge, so the aim is to get as much done before then as possible.

• jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @antonyj, that's a good looking high poly mesh.  I hear you on getting as much done for this challenge finished ASAP.  I figure if I can get this first hatch just right, the second hatch won't be too hard.  Right now, I'm about getting like items done as much as possible which probably means Props 3 and 4 will be the last ones to be worked on, given how unique they are.

In any event, I have another update and this is looking a bit closer to what I want.  I suppose that if I get really desperate, I can start using default smart materials.  I just tend to prefer making my own stuff from scratch since I get a better idea of how things are supposed to work.

• jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • antonyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jewski-bot Yeah that's looking better already. Maybe some extra wear around the brackets on the hatch itself where it's been detached then reattached multiple times? The second one shouldn't take you as long as least there are some detail meshes that can be shared, as well as the general hatch itself. I started 3 but haven't even touched number 4 yet. Probably not likely that I'll get them done before Thursday but I'll shoot for it and upload after I get back if I don't.

Looking at other people's work, I feel like I've been a bit lazy with the hatch brackets so I'll be revisiting that before I texture both the hatches.
  • jesusrck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesusrck polycounter lvl 3
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update: adjusted the rough steel on the first prop so it wasn't an eyesore (it seemed way too strong for what I wanted).  Second prop has been all textured up, so now both hatches are done.  Whether they are finished is something else, but they are at least in a state where I am content with submitting them (I might adust the orange paint on the second hatch to make it pop a little bit more).

@jesusrck, I like the alternate design that you came up with, emphasizing how the hatch would actually work.  I'm not sure about the materials though.  The metal seems very heavy duty and seems to be a bit too beat up (though I love the subtle edge wear on the plating.  Very believable, especially if conveying the idea that this is aged equipment that has seen some heavy use).  Perhaps, some normal / height map editing could be used to tone down the wear so it doesn't look as jarring.  Can't wait to see your other props!
  • david-best
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    david-best polycounter lvl 5
    @manuelfuentes13 
    great work dude, cant wait to see the final result! :)
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update Time.  Props 5, 6, and 7.  I'll try to get the rest done this weekend.

Group Shot:

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Hey all - Great work so far! 1 week left so keep it coming :)

Just wanted to bring your attention to the new Concept Thread. Hard to believe it's already that time again! 

So head on over and start voting for November/December Challenge!
  • Nathair23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathair23 polycounter lvl 2
    @kadeschui next month's concepts look amazing! I wanted to try the prop challenge next time, but how can I say no to those environment concepts? ;)
    everybody is doing a great job so far! Soon I will finish the base diffuse textures for my scene, then I will post my progress!
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @david-best Thanks! this challenges are a lot of fun and a great way to try new things, this is my first ever stylized hand-painted scene and I'm having a lot of fun working on it. 

Very busy week but hopefully I can finish the scene this weekend.  Here is an update on the hand-painted ground texture for the scene.
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my final images, I don't think I'll have time to  make more changes before the deadline so I'll stop here. It was a lot of fun working on this concept, good luck to everyone still working on their scenes and props! 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4LOQ8

• jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @manuelfuentes13, that's it; you won the challenge.  Such an amazing piece, you've really managed to capture the concept well.  My hat's off to you, good sir.   B)
  • Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work @manuelfuentes13! Really enjoyed its evolution. And great job everyone else too, I love following these challenges even when I have no time to partecipate. :)
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Group shot of everything so far minus Prop 3 and textures for Prop 10.  I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure if I'll make the due date.  Also, I'm not happy with some of the objects; I've been rushing on burnout what with insane work days etc, so some of the texture quality suffers on the smaller objects.  My favorites as of right now are Props 1, 2, 4, and 6.  As always, comments and critiques are appreciated, if not to be implemented this time around, then certainly for the next challenge.  Thanks, guys!
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job @jewski-bot ! I really like the prop on the far right (the one with the EX608 decal) the contrast between the dark gray and white make it look a lot better than the others, you could quickly add some of that tone to the other props in painter to improve them, right now they look a little flat because of the low contrast between the light gray white and dirty orange and some of the small details get lost.  Also why not add  some emissive details on all of them so they look alive :)
  • Nathair23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @manuelfuentes13 totally love it, it is stunning!
    Here is mine. I won't be able to finish everything by tomorrow, at least now the main building is almost done, I just have to make specular maps and import it into unreal engine. I hope I will be able to texture the environment and add minor modeling stuff tomorrow, but I will keep on doing it after the challenge is ended. 

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nathair23 Thanks! Hopefully you can get it into unreal before the deadline, I'ts a good thing that you are planing on continuing to work on it after the challenge ends, shouldn't let all that good work go to waste. :)
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job @jewski-bot ! I really like the prop on the far right (the one with the EX608 decal) the contrast between the dark gray and white make it look a lot better than the others, you could quickly add some of that tone to the other props in painter to improve them, right now they look a little flat because of the low contrast between the light gray white and dirty orange and some of the small details get lost.  Also why not add  some emissive details on all of them so they look alive :)
    I just finished re-baking the normal maps for Props 3 and 10, but need to go to sleep.  It'll be tight to get the texturing all finished up, but I think it's still in the realm of possibility before the deadline.

Most of the props don't have the dark gray because of the way the concept art is colored.  Perhaps I tried to be a bit too rigid this time in trying to maintain fidelity to the original work.  I think that the latches and hatch trim can be made to emulate the dark gray from Prop 4 without it becoming overwhelming.

As far as the contrast, I think I just rendered out at a bad angle, because a lot of the detail comes out in the roughness maps provided the light is shining brightly on it.  

One more day to go!  I hope to High Heavens I won't be plagued by trick or treaters ringing the doorbell.....  Or I can perhaps pack up my laptop and work at a Dunkin' Donuts...
  • Gibby1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gibby1995 polycounter lvl 4
    Made a few silly mistakes on this, live and learn I suppose. I had fun trying to get a bit more edge definition for my bakes and material definition. I used Marmoset to render although I think I should of used UE4.
    There's some relay good work on this months challenge, GG    

• Nathair23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Okay, here's mine. It is not completely finished, but I did my best to come to this point for the deadline. The main building is basically done, but I will do more on the environment later. Plus, I noticed some faces are missing totally, I suspect it has something to do with normals or stuff like that. It's a pity because I hoped to finish it for the deadlline, but I guess it's better than nothing :)
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Done... Not Finished, but this was about all I could get done in the time frame posted given all the Real Life stuff happening.  It really meant a lot to be able to at least have this much completed.  There are still areas of the textures that I'm not happy with and probably would've turned out better had I more time, but such is life.  Congratulations to all who participated in this challenge, and those who go on to the next!
  • tystnad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tystnad polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry, I'm a bit late. o:) Just wanted to make my contribution too this thread bigger than one post, it would have been to disappointig to leave it that way. 
    https://imgur.com/WgbVJ4d
  • kadeschui
  • Nathair23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, just wanted to post the finished result :) I know there's still a lot to improve, but it's fine like this for now, it has been such an interesting challenge! Comments and critiques are welcome :)

• creepyhooman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creepyhooman polycounter lvl 7
    A little bit late, but here it is. Not hand painted (obviously).
  • antonyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whaaaaat. There's been a lot of activity since I've been away! Got back at the weekend so I've not been able to work on anything else unfortunately. Think I'll still just finish these off, can probably do them alongside the new challenge as well this time as I'm not joining a month into it haha.

Great work everyone, some killer stuff!
  • hasgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone, I know its very late (about 2 months after the deadline) but I want to share my finished work

Progress GIF:

Feel free to Comments and critiques, thank you!

more on my Artstation:
    artstation.com/p/EyNLe