Home Technical Talk

Arranging scene assets before UV'ing.

karnd3D
null
Offline / Send Message
karnd3D null
Hey there, 

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking things and whether this is obvious but I want to UV the Wacom pen and holder but I'm unsure of how to proceed in situations like this. 

How would you arrange the assets before UV'ing them and would you UV everything (pen_body, pen_ring, pen_contact, pen_tip, pen_holder) on a single UV tile etc. as that's what I think I should do, but then they all need to be part of the same mesh, right? Currently, the components are individual objects parented to a group node (wacom_pen).

Thanks for reading! I think I posted this in the correct place, my apologies if I haven't :O !

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    The way you pack the UV's would depend on what you are going to use this for. It seems like you should be able to fit them both onto the same map as they are fairly simple/small objects. 

You can pack multiple objects into the same uv space in maya so you don't need to combine them or anything. Just select them all whilst you are UVing. If you want to make sure they are all too the same scale, using layout with 'preserve 3d ratio' (think that is what its called) will scale them all according to their actual scale. Might be a good idea to freeze transformations before doing so. 

You can position them however you want once you have UV'd. Moving the objects shouldn't have any effect on them, you can either move them before or after, your choice (keep them seperate could be easier to UV, but you can always isolate objects anyway)
  • karnd3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karnd3D null
    Thank you so much, your explanation was very helpful and I really appreciate the time. I had no idea about combining objects into a single UV space!