Home Career & Education

Learning Art Fundamentals

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
gameofscones polycounter lvl 5
I want to be able to make my own concept art to work from, and I feel that learning 2d would help me in 3d as well. After reading this article http://www.cgsociety.org/news/article/2694/why-3d-artists-want-to-learn-2d it reaffirms my feelings. Are there any resources you'd recommend for learning art fundamentals? Perhaps a book I should read? would going through the foundation skills on ctrl paint be sufficient? Any advice is appreciated. 

I should mention I'm not in a situation where I can enroll in art classes at a community college or anything like that. 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    James Gurney's books like "Color and Light" among others will be useful arsenal books to start with.

So much of this difficulty is going to be you being disciplined enough to sit down and do your own still life or observational drawings and paintings on your own time, relatively undirected.  You need to put in some time for that at least.

• millie_moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    millie_moose polycounter lvl 2
    There’s a huuuge range of resources out there to browse. I can say taking up life drawing classes is super important to teach you anatomy. It’s best if you can find a local class to go to, but study from photo reference if you can’t. I’d recommend the book “Force: Dynamic Life Drawing” which you can find on amazon.

Additionally, keep a sketch journal to document what you see and sketch as often as possible. To build up your skills.

Once you’ve built up your base you can delve deeper and learn things like lighting and painting. Check out books like “Light for Visual Artists” and most of the Art of books. So so good for checking out Vis Dev. 

And also, build up a collection of artists work that inspire you. Pick apart their work, why do you like it? What draws you to it? How could you implement those things in your own work? And gradually you’ll get into it. It won’t be easy but it will be so rewarding in the long run ☺️
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I want to be able to make my own concept art to work from, and I feel that learning 2d would help me in 3d as well. 

I'm not discouraging you from doing this, but my opinion is learning both 2D concept and 3D modeling is a very tall order. 

In a way, it's exactly like learning two different jobs. You got concept art but 3D has a ton of sub disciplines like environment, prop, character, lighting, texturing etc. 

In my experience, it requires a lot of patience to create your own concepts while keeping in mind you have to build 3D objects that match the same professional standards. 
  • gameofscones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I do realize it won't be an easy task, its more of a long-term investment. I'm not really learning both at the same time as I already understand the fundamentals of 3d modeling. But I lack the art fundamentals necessary to be as creative as I want to be if that makes sense. So I figured I'd learn an additional skill that will supplement my 3d endeavors. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"Learning Art Fundamentals"

Relevant resource material I'd suggest further research are available on that specific board at CGTalk:

Art Techniques and Theories

Click on the stickies or browse the membership sub-forum threads for an overview, not only formal theory/technique based textbooks but also people's individual thoughts about acquiring 2D Foundational knowledge and what that essentially entails for them on a personal level. By the way, the linked article's author Rob Chang, runs a workshop. He's a talented multi skilled successful Artist in his own right, so if you're interested in signing up or have questions about it I'm sure you'll receive a prompt response via his course enrolment master thread:

Hope this helps.

P.S.
    In a former life prior too CG, I was and still to this day in many respects a 2D/Sculptor Portraitist, even earned a living waaay back in the day painting/carving unique works for a select clientele, so through experience I know for a fact gaining 2D Art Fundamentals' will propel your digital skillset beyond what you'd think possible at the moment but don't just take my word for it, checkout those above links yourself.    

• gameofscones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:

"Learning Art Fundamentals"

Relevant resource material I'd suggest further research are available on that specific board at CGTalk:

Art Techniques and Theories

Click on the stickies or browse the membership sub-forum threads for an overview, not only formal theory/technique based textbooks but also people's individual thoughts about acquiring 2D Foundational knowledge and what that essentially entails for them on a personal level. By the way, the linked article's author Rob Chang, runs a workshop. He's a talented multi skilled successful Artist in his own right, so if you're interested in signing up or have questions about it I'm sure you'll receive a prompt response via his course enrolment master thread:

Hope this helps.

P.S.
    In a former life prior too CG, I was and still to this day in many respects a 2D/Sculptor Portraitist, even earned a living waaay back in the day painting/carving unique works for a select clientele, so through experience I know for a fact gaining 2D Art Fundamentals' will propel your digital skillset beyond what you'd think possible at the moment but don't just take my word for it, checkout those above links yourself.    

Thanks for the resources, I'll definitely check them out after work today. Appreciate the help!