Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TimeBurner | Aspiring Artist

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Rajil_Macatangay polycounter lvl 2
Greetings! 
I am new here. I actually started learning back on 2015. I made some low poly models that time. On 2016, I made some high poly tanks. I was doing it as a hobby. Then, only this year did I start taking it seriously and started learning unwrapping, baking, texturing, and rendering. I aim to be a hard surface artist and I am always eager to hone my skills and enhance my efficiency.

I'll be posting my works here. For now, here's my latest works.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    These guns look really good. I can't actually offer any critique on them, so good job!
  • Rajil_Macatangay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These guns look really good. I can't actually offer any critique on them, so good job!
    Thanks, mate! I hope to do more complex objects next time to test my modelling skills. I'm thinking of modelling a kriss vector. It's been modeled many times, but it looks good for practice.
  • Metemer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metemer vertex
    I'd say these are pretty awesome. Would like to see some wireframes, I'm thinking you might have gone quite high poly at places? Maybe on purpose, but if you're going into games, getting used to minimizing poly count should be high on your list! Or maybe I'm entirely wrong and they are pretty low poly :D. The pistol is definitely my favourite. The sniper rifle is close but the wooden parts feel either too saturated, or not dirty enough, or lacking normal map strength or there just being too much of it. I'm not sure which, but one or more of those irks me!

On the P90-looking one, I'm sure you did an excellent job, but the design of that gun just seems boring :D What can ya do, right?

Seriously though, the colors and bumpy areas on that pistol feel so pleasing. My only uncertainty is that the grip feels a bit short? But if you followed a reference of an existing pistol then I'm sure it's fine. I have big hands.
  • Rajil_Macatangay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metemer said:
    I'd say these are pretty awesome. Would like to see some wireframes, I'm thinking you might have gone quite high poly at places? Maybe on purpose, but if you're going into games, getting used to minimizing poly count should be high on your list! Or maybe I'm entirely wrong and they are pretty low poly :D. The pistol is definitely my favourite. The sniper rifle is close but the wooden parts feel either too saturated, or not dirty enough, or lacking normal map strength or there just being too much of it. I'm not sure which, but one or more of those irks me!

On the P90-looking one, I'm sure you did an excellent job, but the design of that gun just seems boring :D What can ya do, right?

Seriously though, the colors and bumpy areas on that pistol feel so pleasing. My only uncertainty is that the grip feels a bit short? But if you followed a reference of an existing pistol then I'm sure it's fine. I have big hands.
    Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, there are certainly many things I must improve. The Walther has 6.3k, the SVD has 33.7k, and the P90 has 11.6k triangular faces. I did become too generous on the poly count, knowing it is for first person view, but mainly because it's just for my portfolio. I am certain I could lessen the poly count more. 

In the SVD, I may have gone too far with the saturation in marmoset as personal preference. The wood isnt that accurate to the reference I had and isnt that good. I lacked the skill to do it accurately during time I was doing this, so I had to improvise haha.

The grip being small, might be due to perspective and field of view.

Anyway, here are the wireframes. Excuse the quality, these are screen captures from the sketchfab viewer.

You can see more renders of these guns in my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artist/the_time_burner

Cheers!

• Rajil_Macatangay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings Polycount,

Here's a Kriss Vector I made.
    More images and a camo variant here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5l4kO

Low Poly + Normal 

Hope you all like it!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the intruded geo on the front handle of the Kriss, why don't you use a normal map for that? It'd cut down on polys by a huge amount.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    they're looking great dude.  keep it up!
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    I think your assets are good, but you should work your presentation a bit. 

There was some good discussion about it recently here : 

http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2573975
  • Rajil_Macatangay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the intruded geo on the front handle of the Kriss, why don't you use a normal map for that? It'd cut down on polys by a huge amount.
    Im not sure what youre pertaining to. Which is that exaclty?

Tzur_H said:
    they're looking great dude.  keep it up!
    Thanks!

I think your assets are good, but you should work your presentation a bit. 

There was some good discussion about it recently here : 

http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2573975
    Yes, I will soon. Maybe do a rerender of all my stuff. But, for now, I'll have to fill up my portfolio first and work on my skills further. But, I will try to be more creative on my next presentation. Thanks for th
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The polys highlighted here. It might be a good idea to bake them down to a normal map.

• Rajil_Macatangay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings!

Just finished this lantern for texturing practice.