Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chasten - Character art Dev

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
shayleen_hulbert interpolator
Hola!

I've started working on a new character by the artist Shen YH. I've always liked Shen's work so i'm really happy he has lent out his elf baby to me.

The challenges for this project are the very clean and sharp visuals of his clothing, the intricate metal design and the fact that i have never made a male character before! I have surprised myself a bit with how fast I've been able to make his face NOT look like a blobby alien from another dimension so i think that's a plus.

I want to keep him close to the concept but twist the style to be a little more stylised more towards a Shardbound look. His design is very clean so i think he will translate well into that world.  

So here are some WIP shots!

I've started swapping out my block out pieces. I started with the boots but i'm going to work on his pauldrons and hair over the weekend. 

Bit of an older WIP

The concept by Shen

He is still quite rough around the edges but any feedback is appreciated 
Thanks for stopping by!

Replies

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Spent the weekend cleaning up a lot of the block in shapes.
    Got a few more belt pieces to make and then i need to work on his legs and hands. I keep putting them off as i get wrapped up in the fun little pieces so i need to get those done asap!
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inttruth polycounter lvl 2
    ahh man he's looking awesome! 
  • Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    @shayleen_hulbert

Looking good! This project seems a lot like mine, an elf concept with lots of belts and metal thingies ugh...

But it´s not a better initial pose a more relaxed one? Like the concept pose to have a better idea about the proportions as for now it seems that the arms are too short and the shoulder plates too big and also, the waist a little too small unless you want to do some stylized shapes.

I know that it´s in a super early blockout and probably you know what to change but I´ve done a rought idea of what i said:

*There´s a gif(The right side is unchanged since i was lazy:smile: ):

• Chrysanthi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrysanthi polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome progress! :smiley: 
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hi Shay!
    Nice job! I'm loving where this is going, you chose a nice concept. 
    I agree with Koromo, there´s minor proportions issues to fix, specially the shoulder armor they look a bit smaller in the concept.
    But you're a doing an great job, I cant wait to see more :)   
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback @Koromo and @karytsukino!!!

Yes Koromo i do have a big list of things i want to fix and i'll keep it in mind to keep checking him in a more relaxed pose. I think in the context of just looking at the jacket his arms seem too long (as in the concept his cuffs line up with the bottom of the jacket) but in relation to his actual body underneath they are the right length. So i think i'm going to push up the bottom half of his jacket so it stops throwing off the proportions there and bulk out the jacket like you suggested. :)

He isn't going to be a direct 1for1 from the concept as i want to stylise him more so I don't want to make the shoulder pieces too much smaller than they are now. I really want to exaggerate the broad and square shapes in his silhouette. 

Thanks again! I'm going to work on your feedback and my own list tonight and post another update soon! 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, this is awesome!  great concept as well. cant wait to see more.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far. 

He isn't going to be a direct 1for1 from the concept as i want to stylise him more so I don't 

Good. Appropriating and adapting the concept to your own style is great imo. Will follow this thread closely :smile:
  • Portgas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Portgas triangle
    Saw your livestream. It's looking pretty good so far, so I'm interested in the final result :)
  • mavhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mavhn polycounter lvl 10
    oh man the sculpt is looking great so far! well done