Home Technical Talk

Transferring height map / tesselation details to mesh?

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I'm currently working with a limited game engine that does not support realtime tessellation for surfaces. This means that most of my rocks and other nature materials are looking very flat compared to what they looked like in UE4 and CryEngine. Does anyone know any technique of transferring details to the mesh? Like, having a plane or simpler rock surface and baking the tesselation to the mesh itself? 

Replies

• Menchen
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen polycounter lvl 3
    If you told us which engine you are using we could help you better. 

1-Your engine might not support tesselation, but you could try and see if it supports parallax oclussion maping, it might achieve a result similar to what you want. 

2-In your modelling package you can usually do "baked tesselation"; I don't know how it would be done in your modelling package (if you just told us what software you use...), but in blender you can use the displacement modifier (I think it's called the same in 3dsm)
  • armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Blender. Thanks, i'll try the displacement modifier!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Bake a normal map.
  • armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    A normal map will keep my mesh simple. I want to enrich the geometry with the heightmap, just like normal tessellation does.
  • EarthQuake
    If you know your engine doesn't support tessellation/displacement, why not simply model the low poly with more detail? Brute force tessellation isn't a very efficient way to approach this.
  • armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to redo all assets. :/
  • gnoop
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I would try subdivide > displace > decimate (planar with UV's)  > data transfer to project vertex normals from initial model to a new one so it would be matching initial normal map.    

But I never tried it myself in Blender.  Not sure the data transfer would cope with normals properly and you wouldn't have to bake normal maps again.    Blender data transfer is not as reliable as Max projection modifier, normal theft script or Maya attribute transfer  imo.    But in theory it should work.    For rocks at least.