Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragoon

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

I started working on a Dragoon, starcraft fanart.
I've just been playing around with it, not having any other goal than trying to height stamp something.
Now that the process is easier, maybe I should add more smaller details?

I'm wondering if I should go for something  more gritty, like how the terran are protrayed in the swarm cinematic, or if I should go for a more happy overwatchy style. Or maybe something different?

This is the state of it now, might end up redoing the texturing, depending on what direction I want to take it.

Any feedback or pointing out things that annoys your eye is always welcome :)
===================
Latest:

====================

Replies

• Overmind5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    I saw the thread title hoping it had to do with a Protoss dragoon, but wasn't holding my breath for it, lo and behold, I was pleasantly surprised.  I will say the yellow shell metals should have a gold-like definition to them.  The fact that it looks like a grey metal painted in a gold tone doesn't exactly say "Protoss" to me, regardless of what art style you put it in.  That aside, it certainly looks like one of the walking life-support sarcophagus robots of old.

"...I have returned..."
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    That's a very good point, @Overmind5000
    I also think it looks more like an old dumpster than a protoss.
    Will give that some attention. Thank you!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Love to see some more screenshots to get a better view of him to give proper feedvack. but as people mentioned, materials are looking a bit dull.

but for starters I feel the leg joints aren't Prrotoss enough.

you should check out the work from the cinematic team of Legacy of the void.
    here are some probe shots.
    and here are some reall cool material and design studies if you scroll down a bit.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for your feedback, @lotet !
    You are absolutely right. Honestly, I just wanted this to be a super small little weekend project, and just based it off the first thing I found (shown below)

but I agree with you, I did a more "human" interpretation of all the stuff I couldnt see here, ultimately not looking very protoss.
    Thanks a lot for linking me those things, it's super badass, and I should have checked that out before even modelling :)

I think I might just finish this one with the current design, as a test case, and then do a "proper" protoss model afterwards, as going back to modelling/UV/baking again is too demotivating for a small fun side project at this stage :D

Again, thanks a lot for pointing it out, it's some great resources :) I'll try to implement it on the detail level in the height stamping!

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Update.
    Played some more with painting heights, and went to the other extreme in terms of material roughness.
    Will probably tone that back a bit.

• Overmind5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    Now THAT screams Protoss right there.  Shiny, polished, and well maintained, but slightly worn from the elements regardless.  I could nitpick on the blue joint-cap pieces, but I think the update in material definition certainly makes up for that.

I aught to mention (and I don't know if you have enough UV space for it), but where is the spinning centrifuge that's underneath it?  Every dragoon rendition down to the 1997 cutscenes has it.  Despite the some small details like the blue joint-caps and the lack of underside centrifuge, I definitely like it.

Spiffy work.  Keep at it.

"For Vengeance..."
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    NIce update! I definitely think your moving in the right direction.

my only concern now Is you might have gone a bit overboard with the sci-fi panels

this came to mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n94ggmsVDg

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @Overmind5000
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, Overmind :)
    What are your thoughts on the blue joint cap pieces?
    Both you and lotet know much more about the protoss than I do, so im curious about your thoughts :)
    Same with the "spinning centrifuge" - what is that? 

@lotet
    Thanks, lotet! That was also my thought looking at it today, that I definitely need to go in and clean up some details there.
    Thanks for sending that video, it's a great example!

I'm happy you are following along. Your feedback is great, guys :)

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Today's update.
    I'm about to repaint some of the height details so they are more protossy, but my computer is soooo slow, it takes me 5-10 seconds to see every stroke update, so I get to finish at least 3 bottles of beer for each panel :D 

I also noticed that I in the heat of battle made the 2 shield impact locations equally big. Will tweak taht as well, to be more dynamic.

Lots of other small things needing attention, but its slowly creeping forward :)

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,

New update. Depending how it looks when I see it again tomorrow, I might either tweak some things, or ship it as it is :)
    Already looking at it right now, it does look very blue. 
    Any fresh eye opinions? :)

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good! 
    my only crit is the shield is looking a bit thick and opaque. its a shame, its covering up a lot of the model and its distracting from all the cool detail :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, lotet, thats a valid point :)
    It also looks a bit detached from the rest of the image, I think.
    I will see what I can do. Thanks for pointing it out!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    This is where I ended up with it.

Thank you, @lotet and @Overmind5000
    You both really helped me with it :)

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Turned out really good, the new shield looks much better, congratulations on a great piece.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Wow! how cool! I gotta try this too. Very nice job partner! 

"I have returned."
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, both of you :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Oh my gosh. This is making me hard.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, Brian :D 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think having the laser partially reflected away looks cooler than absorbed. But, regardless, this looks great !