Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Snapping vertices with scale tool

Good day. I've recently returned to 3ds Max after almost 1.5 years of work in Blender and got stuck with a simple problem
Problem: How can I snap circle of vertices to another circle in 3ds Max so they would match?
That process is demonstrated in Blender in the attached gif . I've searched through many forums and videos and yet haven't found a solution. I know that I can snap each vertex independently to corresponding vertex of another mesh, but that would take more time and I'm trying to speed up modelling process.

Replies

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    I don't believe this is actually possible, there's probably a script out there emulating it, but base functionality wise. I've never seen it.
  • RedTechDigit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros said:
    I don't believe this is actually possible, there's probably a script out there emulating it, but base functionality wise. I've never seen it.
    Darn, sad to hear. Thank you for your reply.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Yeah no, it's a different philosophy in Max unfortunately. Personally I would just work with the essential faces, then select the gap and bridge together the connections with a click. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    when i used to use max, i had a script for this that would match the position of selected vertices to nearby vertices belonging to other geometry (within a given threshhold).
    something like http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/snap but with a far more minimal interface. so i am saying i did not test this. :)
    at any rate it's an extra step to run it vs just using transformation + snap functionality so you might not even care.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    It's not possible to do it with the scale tool, but it is kinda possible to do it with the translate/move tool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/df100if99ephgfg/ehh_kinda.mp4?dl=0

Basically, make sure your face is deleted. Else it won't create the vertex normal in the direction you need it to face. Then enable vertex selection, local transform at the top, and vertex snapping.

Of course, Max's snapping tools aren't perfect, you'll get close though.

Edit:

Oh yeah, forgive me playing around, it would be shorter but I haven't opened Max in long time.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    For that gif example though, I'll 2x2x2 FFD-ed them into place. For a more complex shape, yeah I'll just bridge the 2 edge rings.
  • RedTechDigit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    It's not possible to do it with the scale tool, but it is kinda possible to do it with the translate/move tool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/df100if99ephgfg/ehh_kinda.mp4?dl=0

Basically, make sure your face is deleted. Else it won't create the vertex normal in the direction you need it to face. Then enable vertex selection, local transform at the top, and vertex snapping.

Well, it was kinda of what I need, but I've been trying to replicate it for past 30 minutes with different cylinders and selection center settings, but I couldn't achieve that result. Vertices were moving kinda randomly in a weird pattern(I've been using Local coordinate system).
    I think I'll have to stay with good ol' bridge system. 
    Max misses a lot of good stuff like 3d cursor, but I think that discussion is for another thread :smile:
    Thank you everyone for your replies.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    there is also a snap to closest vert script on script spot.... I cant remember what the name is exactly. All you have to do is get dem vert pretty close and "click" the script. Its pretty cool
  • Nesher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nesher polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, it actually can be done just like in blender (kinda, since I don't know if blender welds vertices together after snapping or not - max doesn't), but to do what you need, select the verts you want to move, under "Edit Geometry" turn on "Constrain to Edge" and then scale the selection uniformly in all three axes. Transforming verts like that won't move them past the larger circle of the cylinder, so they'll become essentially snapped to it.

Off course, since it's probably too many steps if you want to do it real quick in max (also I don't remember how many times I found myself forgetting that I let Geometry Constraints turned on and then immediately freaking out about it during my next transform - even to the point I wrote a script displaying its status inside the viewport :) ), the "Delete the polys and Bridge them" approach would probably be faster and well - "safer".

One rather important note in the end though.  "Constrain to edge/face/normal" won't work if both cylinders are separate objects and as far as I know, nothing using Scale would, since in Max it completely ignores Snap - something I see being requested on Autodesk forums at least once a year and is constantly being ignored though.
  • RedTechDigit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nesher said:
    One rather important note in the end though.  "Constrain to edge/face/normal" won't work if both cylinders are separate objects and as far as I know, nothing using Scale would, since in Max it completely ignores Snap - something I see being requested on Autodesk forums at least once a year and is constantly being ignored though.
    Well, yeah, combining objects could do the trick with constraints, but it's a hell of a bodge. Easier to clone face and bridge it then. 
    I'm trying to achieve another Blender feature in 3ds Max with scaling distance between 2 objects(in Blender you have to press only one button and scale two objects together without affecting the scale of objects), but I guess that it's impossible too without good script.