Home Career & Education

Beginner studies?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DinkleDonker polycounter lvl 4
Feel free to redirect me and delete this if a thread already exists. I'm a very new artist hoping to dive into modeling, mostly for environments. I understand how to use the basic tool sets of maya, but I find myself reading up on projects and tutorials and not having a clue what they're talking about. Also I run into issues modeling and am unable to correct the problem because I don't understand the solutions I find searching online. Basically I was hoping someone could direct me to any quality sources for study. I don't want to repeat QA on forums for every mistake I make and can't figure out on my own. Textbooks, courses, pretty much anything that will give me a grasp of the terminology and necessary procedures ir troubleshooting needed to successfully model. Obviously much of this comes with trial and error and practice. Just hoping for a solid base to start from. Ex: I've run into a LOT of issues with non manifold geometry, but still after research, run into it time and time again and lack understanding of what it really is and how to correct/avoid it. Again, thanks and feel free to close this thread if this isn't the appropriate place.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Have you fully completed a beginners guide to Maya tutorial? There are plenty to choose from, and they go over a ton of stuff. I've also taken this course on Pluralsight/Digital Tutors called Professional Tips For Modelling Complex Shapes. It was really great.
  • DinkleDonker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have gone through a few beginner tutorials and I have the basics of modeling simple objects down and tweaking with a few other tools as well. The problem usually arises when I try to read up on or watch other workflows of more experienced artists in order to learn more. I get lost in the terminology and how to actually use the tools they use. Or when I attempt something more complex on my own, the geometry ends up a disaster and tools refuse to work correctly. I will definitely look into that recommendation though. Appreciate it!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    3Dmotive has cheap, handholding, step by step instructions for what you need. 
  • DinkleDonker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will also look into that! Thanks!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Also, don't let it get you down. When I first started, it seemed like every other tutorial had instances where the tools just didn't seem to work correctly. It's frustrating, and you will spend days searching Google for answers, but it does get easier :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Hmm...flipped normals!

For me even after years hardsurface modeling (mechanical) stuff they still tend to crop up with head desking frequency. Complex subject matter especially seems too, well at least from my experience when detailing a shape with the sub-division modifier applied :/

Anyway don't stress about the orthodox semantics of the discipline at this stage, as mentioned a knowledge base will only begin to develope with an invested mind numbing quota of time and effort. So for now just concentrate your focus nailing what you've learnt thus far rather than worry if you're using correct terminology when posing a query to an issue whether basic or not.

We've all been there, so generally people will invaribly be understanding, if you support your question with prior troubleshooting trying to resolve a given problem before posting.

Cheers.

EDIT:
    Also just out of interest, what are you modeling at the moment?

• DinkleDonker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the replies everyone! I suppose I shall just start grinding away and keep my head on when I run into a wall! @sacboi I've been on a hiatus for quite a while so nothing really at the moment. I was hoping to get back into it and I thought maybe I needed to take a few steps back and rethink how I was going to learn. but for the sake of posting something, this was the last thing I had worked on. I was mostly just practicing hand painting textures. Can't seem to locate the pics of it finished.  :|
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah I'm in a similar position. Had taken time away from CG and now revising a few skillsets at the moment. It's weird in way how 'rusty' my memory had become especially sub division modelling utilising specific workflows trying too generate a seemingly 'optimised' topology somewhat! along with constant re editing correcting sh*t loads of errors :/

Oh well despite that, enjoying getting back into it nonetheless.  

Cheers.