Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magnus Ragnarson project

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Nomad33 greentooth
Hi everyone !

In collaboration with Geraud Soulie aka Operion, I present you my current WIP done with Zbrush : Magnus Ragnarson
The concept was done by Geraud, you can check the artstation of this amazing artist here

I start the modelisation one week ago but I need some advices so you can feel free to tell me what I need to improve !

Concept

Here the WIP

You can follow the project on my twitch channel too
My artstation

Thanks in advance for the replies !
Cheers

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I love the concept, love the sculpt, love the style, This is awesome!
  • Semi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi triangle
    Love the sculpt, I love how even if it's pretty stylised, the anatomy is still really spot on. Really cool work, can't wait to see more

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Yep, pretty awesome stuff!
    If I have to nitpick I'd say the face may need some adjusting, it's true to the concept but maybe the jaw would look better protruding forward.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! Great work! I really like the concept and you're doing a great job in 3d, the style is so cool! I'm looking forward to see more :) 
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Thanks for your replies guys ! Glad you like it :)
    @AgelosAp I'm agree with you, I don"t finish the sculpt on the face or the body but I'll make this adjusting ! Thanks !

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looking at this again, I think the face looks a bit flat on the sideview.
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    @lotet Yes I agree with you about that, I'll refine the face
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    UPDATE

. Refine a bit the body / Helmet
    . Start to work on the beard
    . I'll rework all the lower armor, need to make this more "simple"
    . Add the nails
    . Next step : start the lower body and refine the anatomy
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks super clean, love it!

only crit I have atm is the fur. I think it could benefit from sharpers points a overall be fluffier, right now its looking a bit heavy just kinda hanging there. 
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Hey guys, here a new update !

I finished the base of the model (proportion..) and now I'll start to sculpt correctly the entire character, start to work on the differents props too and refine or rework some parts (like the fur)

I worked on the base model for the sword with 3Ds Max

Critics are welcome !
    Cheers :)
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Update of the day :)

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Man this is going great!
    Maybe the pants folds would look better with a more angular approach, not sure if you tried that already, it seems fitting with the stylization on his chest etc.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice! Really digging the legs and lower body, is that sculpted or just modeled? it looks so clean.
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    @AgelosAp Yes I'll refine the pants folds, I just let them like that for the moment ;)
    @lotet For the moment the lower body is just modeled with 3ds max for the wood leg and zbrush for the rest with mask, zremesher and zmodeler, no sculpt :)
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
  • Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    Looking good great project!
    I would suggest adding weight to the skull on the belt a little bit by making the metal behind it a bit pulled down where the skull is, like on the concept! So from front view the top side of the belt would not be perfectly straight, but shaped like an U a bit, that way giving weight to the skull on it. I would also make the skull a bit larger and more exaggerated. Maybe increase the upper portion of the skull, like on the concept where the proportions of the jaw and "skull" part are roughly the same.
    You could also mimic the concept's shape of the beard, where the two rings of the beard below each other have different sizes, giving weight to the beard also. The upper ring on the concept is a bit smaller compared to the lower, and this gives the beard a nice weight and proportions. Also I believe the beard could be overall much bigger on the concept it goes below the nipples and touches the abs. 

As a general rule regarding these things I mentioned you could look out for straight lines on your sculpture. If you find a straight line, curve it, bend it, smudge it, rotate it! There are hardly any straight forms on the concept, which gives it and interesting look, and cartoony feeling! For another example look at the rope on the fake leg on the concept, it has various thickess to it, and also have a little bit wave like motion to it. Also round shapes can be pushed and smudged, you can and should move away from perfect cylindrical shapes!

I really like the direction you are headed, and you make nice progress overall with your works! Garrison also turned out nice! Keep up the ace work ;)

• Elithenia
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    @Cordero ----> Hey thanks for your anwesome feedback ! I'm agree with hat you say, I'll curve the line for a better render. For the beard, you're right, she's too small on my model, I'll make her bigger. But just a question, the curves will normally appear when I give the pose to the character, right ?
    Thanks again for your comment :)

@Elithenia ---> <3 ahah

• Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    Yes they will appear, since the cylindrical shapes will be rotated a bit after you pose the character, resulting more curved shapes from a certain camera angle.
    What I would suggest is to break up straight lines even before it is posed, that way it will be interesting from all camera angles, and in every pose! As you can see on the feedback I posted earlier from the front view you could add a little bit of wave, little bit of pushing up and down the rope as it "hugs" the leg, which will better represent the rough, sketchy style that the character has.