Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Gallamanji polycounter lvl 7
  • I'm modelling my first environment and am trying to find a concept to work from. Does anyone have any advice on how to pick a peice of concept art for beginner environment? What makes a peice of concept art good or bad to work from? What should I avoid? What should I look out for? Www.artstation.com/artist/samgalloway to get an idea of my skill level.
    Heres a few that have caught my interest .. I want to make something that can be viewed first person, so not an isometric or mobile game type environment. Most of these are Final Fantasy 9 backgrounds and wonder if I could translate them into first person 3D...

a) Final Fantasy 9 Background (not technically concept art? difficult to work from?)

b) another FF9 background

c) I like this one a lot, struggling to know how i would make the building modular but i guess thats the challenge?

d) another FF9 background.. maybe too much going on?

e) my favourite but worry it could be too difficult for first environment. 

f) similar to e but more simple.. and a bit more boring..

g) one of my favourites, feel it could be straight forward with reasonable challenge. Just worried the concept might be difficult to translate into first person 3D - its another FF9 bg

h) I like it a lot, personally like the more gloomy environments but this is nice and cartoony

Any input on these is v much appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I saw this in GD, but I figured I should reply here instead. I like C the best! It's a unique concept that has a lot of history/story to it, a lot of potential. There are some fun questions you get to answer like was is built that way? or did it shift to that position over time?

I like the FF9 stuff, but the images are kind of small and I don't think they work as well on their own without the context of being in the game.

That's just my 2 cents though!