Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max]Using bridge on edges creates overlapping faces

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
Hey, I am trying connect two edges using bridge, creating a face. However, this command creates overlapping faces. Now I have set tolerance to 0,001 and it still shows up. There are no double edges, no overlapping vertices, all this checked by x-view. Those overlapping faces appear as I bridge two edges together(vertically). I have checked in game engine and its not flickering, but this still drives me mad as for some objects it shows hundreds of overlapping faces.

Now if you could tell me what is causing this and how to repair that, possibly prevent that in future, that would be great.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just had a look at your file. The problem is that you're bridging edges across existing verts. So if you look at your model, everywhere you try to bridge an edge from top to bottom there is a step down in the model and a vertex that isn't connected to the newly created face. You would have to create a vert on that new edge and weld/collapse. Or better yet, Cap the border and connect the vert pairs or cut new edges.

Also, try to make use of the shell modifier where you can to add the thickness. Plane(edge)- modeling can often be easier than box-modeling.

• Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    So in general I could say that T-geometry is causing this ? Is it going to affect final mesh somehow ?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it will affect the mesh because it's poor topology. There are coplanar holes in the mesh. Also, it's bad modeling practice and leads to errors and headaches.
  • Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    So my options are to make extra loops, or either separate the mesh into multiple parts ? 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No you don't have to separate the mesh into parts. But you don't want to leave it like that. If taking to a game engine it will be triangulated anyway. What you could do is cut an edge from the top right vert which will create a triangle, and weld the verts. Then when triangulated each stepped section will have 3 triangles.(shown in the blue paintover) Or cut straight across and when triangulated it will be 4 triangles(shown in the green paintover)

Final triangulation using blue paintover method(which is recommended)