Home Career & Education

Need Career Advice - Getting Into the Industry

Turks
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Turks polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

I currently work in 3D and have for a few years, but not in games (archviz/product rendering). I'm hoping for some life/career advice here.

I recently found out about a position at  an indie game company that I could fit the bill for. While I'm dying to get my foot in the door to the industry, I'm hesitant to even apply for a position at a company that I'm not 100% interested in joining. I feel like this is a bad sign... but on the other hand I feel like it would be good to get some actual experience in games. 

So really the question boils down to is it worth working at a company you're not 100% on board for just for the experience? Is it better to get actual experience in games, or just keep working on a solid portfolio that could land me a job at a larger studio that I'd be more interested in?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just apply.  I wouldn't sweat it until they interview you.

Keep working on the portfolio while you wait.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have no experience. You want experience, heck... you NEED experience, if only just to teach you how to be a professional and work hard even when you're not personally motivated by the subject matter.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks said:
    Hi everyone,

I currently work in 3D and have for a few years, but not in games (archviz/product rendering). I'm hoping for some life/career advice here.

I recently found out about a position at  an indie game company that I could fit the bill for. While I'm dying to get my foot in the door to the industry, I'm hesitant to even apply for a position at a company that I'm not 100% interested in joining. I feel like this is a bad sign... but on the other hand I feel like it would be good to get some actual experience in games. 

So really the question boils down to is it worth working at a company you're not 100% on board for just for the experience? Is it better to get actual experience in games, or just keep working on a solid portfolio that could land me a job at a larger studio that I'd be more interested in?

Why do you think a small studio is not interesting?  Why do you want to work for a larger studio?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    So what if it's an Indie studio?!

Experience IS experience as far as I'm concerned. Some years ago was in a similar position and wrestling with my conscious as to whether continue pursuing an entry level role was in my best interests going forward. Apparently not in my case, now work partime outside the studio system but that dosen't have to mean the same for you.

Anyway what's to lose it's either going to be yea or nae, just go for it I say.
  • Turks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    RyanB said:
    Turks said:
    Hi everyone,

Why do you think a small studio is not interesting?  Why do you want to work for a larger studio?
    Oh no I think I was unclear here. It being an indie studio isn't an issue at all. In fact it's probably better in many ways for someone like me with no game experience. I only meant that this particular studio's games and aesthetic aren't my cup of tea necessarily. That's the part I'm not 100% on board for. And my concern is that without 100% passion for the art I'm creating I'll just wind up in leaving my current 3D studio for more of the same. 

With that said, everyone in here is correct. I applied today. I just wanted to hear some thoughts I suppose.
  • waylon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waylon null
    Hi Everyone, 
    I am working in a Chinese game studio and they have vacancy for freshers. If you want to good learning environment please apply online - http://www.exigent3d.com/applyonline.html
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, just apply, get the experience. It's definitely much better if it's a position, studio, or field you're really into. If it's relevant to games, or 3D, doesn't hurt to still apply.