Home Career & Education

New job offer: do you negotiate your salary?

foxmitten2
null
You just got a new job offer. Do you negotiate your salary? And if you did, were you successful or not? What did you say?

I'd love to hear what your guys' experiences and opinions are on this.

Replies

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends.  Any other benefits?  Size of the company?  Other compensation?  Distance from home?

The most expensive thing now is the cost of living in major urban areas.  Your entire salary is completely gone just for housing, food, travel to work, etc.  A lower salary in a small town might be better for you.
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Being entirely honest I have only done freelance work and an internship so far, but for any job I have ever done I always do.
    If they have a great salary of the bat that's great, but if you feel you would be unable to make a proper living of it you should discuss it imo.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    I dont understand your question.

Of course you will have to negotiate your future salary. You will be asked how much you want and the negotiations will start from there. Otherwise you will get zero money!?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did, and I was successful. In the phone screen they asked what I wanted, I said I'd like X amount. The amount was based on my past salary, what I knew about the increased responsibilities of the new position, my experience level, and what I anticipated the commuting costs to be (this last part I did not mention in talking with them, as my costs are not important to employers, my value is). After the interview they called to make an offer, and I repeated my request which was higher. They called back with a counter-offer, and I accepted.

I put some tips here, hope it helps you
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Negotiation