Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[EU4] Garage Outpost

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TriPunk polycounter lvl 2
I am starting a new assignment for school and figure I will make posts along the way.
I will be using 3dsMax, ZBrush, substance designer and painter, and UE4

In the near future aliens have come to earth, they have not come for war or resources but to integrate with our society. At first, we were on edge and some governments were even aggressive towards them. Over time the tensions settled and they slowly integrated into our society, but there are those who still do not trust them.  As the years passed laws were set in place to protect the rights of our planets new residents. No longer allowed to monitor the activities of our visitors a small group of people have set up a monitoring station in the Mojave Desert at an old abandoned gas station just off of Route 66.

Drawing is not my thing but here is my (very) rough idea for the layout.
and now my block out before I start modeling the assets.
the ship in the corner is originally in a painting by Simon Stålenhag it can be seen @ http://simonstalenhag.tumblr.com/post/116891958092/the-ships-of-the-north-the-swedish-magnetrine

Replies

• TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The brick and concrete MAT that I am working on for4 my Garage.

This decal will appear above the bricks only on the concrete and only where the verts are painted red.
  • JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey TriPunk! 
    Great start to your environment. It would be great to see any inspirations or examples of what you want your final outcome to be. The two big things standing out at the minute is that your bricks are too big, and that corner pieces are generally solid pieces of concrete (though I am making an assumption I could be wrong). Showing bricks underneath it doesn't look right. Also, if you're planning on having the interior of the garage open I would take that into consideration when making your exterior and give your walls some thickness. I would also reconsider the materials that you're using, a quick google search of Route 66 Garage, I can't see many buildings that are made of red bricks. It's either breeze block, wooden panels, corrugated metal or the bricks are painted white. I would take this into consideration when trying to get the look and feel of a certain location :smile:

Hope this helps and keep it up!
  • TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for your feedback JLeeD!  I will be changing the main garage part of the building to be more like the second photo, I really like the red white and black paint with cinder blocks. and I will be going with more corrugated metal around the scene.

I have now added a metal fence and some grass behind and around along with some rocks.

I have fixed the Painting on the side, it is no longer self-illuminating and looks so much better in my opinion.

I will be replacing the trim on the top with a much better metal and rust.

And finally I have added some ground textures using the same MAT layout as the brick allowing me to paint between several textures 

next i will be finishing my rocks and affing some more plant matter. then i want to close in the structure by adding doors and windows all around

• TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get too much done over the past couple days but I figured I could at least get 1 prop done before bed...and now it's 4 am. but at least its done.

The reference 

I am pretty happy with the low poly model too. I really wanted to focus on this a lot more than I normally do and I can confidently say there are no unnecessary polys.

and the final version textured in Substance Painter and placed in UE.  the graffiti is a decal just to cover up the fact the rust is the same I am going to retexture the bin tomorrow so I have 2 variants of this asset.

Until next time...
  • rgbeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rgbeard polycounter lvl 4

Looking cool! Really like the edges that your vertex paint creates. Keep at it!

• TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @rgbeard I was looking at your Hall of Light, it looks fantastic.

• TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update before I'm back at it.i finished the garage doors but I may have to unwrap the low poly again because there is a little tearing on the side of the frame that is bothering me,  I also realized I forgot to add a handle or lock so I can add them while I'm at it, but for the moment it will stay. Next up is the front window, front door and the back door.

One thing I can't figure out is the glass, for some reason when I move around the reflection is of the front of the building not or the rest of the scene... 

• TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since my last post but this is where I am at now...
    I have the satellite dish done, I just need to add a control panel to it.

I also have made some skids and garbage cans to fill around the side and back.
    I am having an issue with the light maps on the Cans but can not figure it out. it looks as though I do not have a channel for the light maps but when I double and triple check I do in fact have them, so I am not sure what is causing the Dark patches.

7 More days till I have to be done and I'm not even halfway to where I wanted to be. ...but I think I can still pull it off.
  • TriPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I sit just hours from the deadline, 8 cups of coffee in as many hours. I haven't slept in almost 2 days and it was all worth it. I am so happy with how this has come along.  after a short nap, I will be setting up and rendering out a video for final submission.

Although this is not what I had originally planned on this diorama looking like, I am very pleased with it.  but next semester I will not procrastinate so I can avoid all this stress!!!...maybe.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    You might not find time or motivation to revisit this but for the future I suggest you pay close attention to how big objects are.
    For most objects you can just input them into your favorite search engine and it will give you a ball park range of where it should be. To give you an example of why I think things might be off.. the concrete barrier is about half the size of the garage door and that's huge in comparison to reference pictures.

In general you're off to a good start though! Keep going.. don't get discouraged.