Home General Discussion

Mass Effect Andromeda

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I am in a situation where I couldn't work this week, so I played a lot and I am only half way through it. Is ME Andromeda too big? Yeah. Pretty much like Dragon Age Inquisition was, just worse in quality and story telling and features and pretty much everything.

On the other hand was Witcher 3 too big? No, it wasn't. Huge game, but it was done with a quality first approach. Every part of the game had its own feeling and purpose. So size isn't the issue, its just about what you do with it and Bioware is going in the worst direction for my taste. Tons of collection quests with nothing to it. I guess you can call it an improvement that this time they added the jumppack so they could add some jump and run elements to the collection-quests and some eagle-sense called scanner to get closer to Assassin's Creed instead of the point and click nonsense from DA:I.

Even if I ignore all the bugs they have in this game, there are so many questionable development decisions that I probably won't be buying another game from them without some serious recommendations from firends next time.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Ryusaki said:
    Maybe the PS4 version is slightly less buggy....
    Also i reject the easy scapegoat of the engine...its not the engines fault...see Battlefield and other Frostbite games. The Engine can handle nice facial animations and stuff. This game just needs more work to fix bugs, glitches etc. That is a logistic/management problem, not a technical problem.
    Well, I've seen many skinning glitches in bf1 (actually, any bf since 3) and even dragon age inquisition. But yeah, bad animations may not be the engine's fault for sure, but other stuff can be. 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I dont think anyone is blaming the engine, per se. It's more of the fact that it's the first game on that engine. Yes, it's capable, but that's not the point. When you switch engines, it takes a lot more work. It requires more time. If they switched engines, but didnt have the extra time needed, it's going to show, as it clearly does. 
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Isnt that exactly the problem: Trying to make a 100 Million $ game with a 40 million budget, on a new engine with an new inexperienced team?
    It should have been a team experienced with Frostbite (the DA:I team?), it should have been a higher budget (60+), and they should have made the game smaller (throw out the fillers) focus on quality instead of quantity and spent  6 more months on polishing.
    EA made a shit-ton of money with the Mass Effect trilogy, the fact that they don't respect the Franchise enough pisses me off to no end.
    It even makes no sense when viewed from a pure business perspective.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Holy fuck balls to hell they fucked this game up. Its not even that its particularly bad, its just i think a problem of not hiring people who are old enough to add in believability to the level required to meet the needs of the average age gamer (33'ish). They sorta did what George Lucus did, made the new films for the younger generations, when the older generation who fell in love with Star Wars had gotten older, wiser, had more life experiences in this world, got accustomed to real life and its limitations and boundaries in everything from physics to the breadth of likely human behavior. IMO, i think this is exactly what Halflife 3 should do to achieve success, be a bit more tight in the believability dept. Im not meaning realism, just the necessary components to help suspend the disbelief of aging gamers.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I heard the game will be in Origin Access in a month or two. That will be 5.99 to play games per month. (rental, not own)

I will probably try it then.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ryusaki said:
    Isnt that exactly the problem: Trying to make a 100 Million $ game with a 40 million budget, on a new engine with an new inexperienced team?
    It should have been a team experienced with Frostbite (the DA:I team?), it should have been a higher budget (60+), and they should have made the game smaller (throw out the fillers) focus on quality instead of quantity and spent  6 more months on polishing.
    EA made a shit-ton of money with the Mass Effect trilogy, the fact that they don't respect the Franchise enough pisses me off to no end.
    It even makes no sense when viewed from a pure business perspective.
    Yeah, that's one thing that surprised me as well. ME franches seems to have been selling like crazy, Some numbers i found for ME:A
    Full game PC and console downloads generated net sales of $111 million,https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-sales-numbers

And for ME3: Despite (or perhaps in part thanks to) the controversy surrounding BioWare's latest game, Electronic Arts is sitting pretty with $200 million in sales.
    https://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-3-makes-over-200-million-in-sales-227119.phtml
    And that was article from 2012. I'm sure it earned even more money since then.

And that's with all the problems and reputation that ME:A got.So it surprises me as well that such a beloved, huge franchise,  got relatively smaller budget (compared to what i think at least it could have), and team that didn't seem to make original franchise or had much experience with all this.
    People make mistakes, of course, that's natural, but just feels EA really didn't treat franchise properly, which just puzzles me. Almost as if they didn't take the franchise seriously, despite all the great reception and sales....

• Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    That was not a mistake in the true sense of the word, it's just brutal capitalism.
    You just have to take a look of what the Core-team of Bioware is doing (an Destiny Clone) to see where the trip is going.
    EA = Eternal Assholes
    For a handful of $$$ more they risked and burned the Reputation of one of the best and fan-favorites Studio's of the World.
    The reputation of Bioware is down the toilet, the trust is gone, they'll never get it back.
    Rightfully so.