Home Adobe Substance

I can't understain the workflow go crazy :)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
i try to insert Substance Painter in my workflow,i try different way but i can't understain sorry. 

Ok i have a model HIGH POLY e the LOW POY. 
The model have 1,2 mil polys, separated into with 54 objects.

- I try to import in SP the high poly with different material par objetc, obviously the system crash.

- I try to import in SP the low poly, 1 material par object, and baking all the normalmap, ok but i have created finally 54 texture sets! 1 texture set for material is 54 texture set at 2k!  too heavy!

- I try to regroup (regroup not join in 1 mesh!)  the objets assigning the same material, similar to groups, so as to create less texture set.
ok less texture sets, BUT the object with same material, in substance painter have 1 UV LAYOUT for all objects.  In practice the individual objects lose their UV, and creates a total UV of all objects that have the same material. does not work.

So please, what is the workflow for importing a model (I have high poly and low poly), in substance painter, without creating many materials set, and retaining the original uv of a single object?
I try many many methods, but i'm confuse.
What should I do in this situation?
VERY thank you 

PS:the ideal would be able to create a mesh DIFFERENT GROUPS (grouped by textures set), but keeping the single object UV.

Replies

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    I'm curious, what kind of asset is composed of so many parts that need to have unique materials for every part?
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    this

When i model this, i model it thinking to have a possibility to work on dectails with texturing

So i leave many object "free", so i can focus on a single objets working on text dectails.
    SO with a unique material i can work on unique UV. 

BUT i miss the Substance Painter workflow (first time), and my work is still blocked in 3d soft  :'(

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    I don't see a real reason for using so many materials. Just group some pieces together and make them fit the uv space.
    You shouldn't export something with idk 50 materials for a game engine or something like that, it will make just way too many drawcalls for no reason. You can have quite a lot of details with even 1 material if you know how to make a good use of your uv space.
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so i can group (i think you say join in 1 mesh right?) some object for material type, to have like 3 or 4 groups.
    Then i re unwrap the groups, and export in SP.
    And then i can work simple on 3 or 4 material.
    The meshes as will be grouped by type of material, it will be easier to manage them. Is right? 
    Ok hope that understain what you suggest, I was very confused because it is the first time I bought this kind of software.
    Now i can finish the work :) and then study the manual ;)
    very very ty! 

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, you actually don't need to join them as 1 mesh or anything, you need to export it just like you normally would and make sure that the parts that have the same materials fit the uv space.

And yes, they will be grouped by type of materials once you import it in substance, so it will be ok to manage it.