Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FPS weapon design

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
Trying my hand at designing a non-existent weapon from scratch. I normally model from reality, or concepts, because there's just so much awesomeness out there already, but this is strictly an exercise for me to get better at designing my own stuff.

Here is the initial design idea and some variations on how the magazine is fed

Replies

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input, JoshuaG. I'm fond of that one, myself. However, I'm having trouble figuring out a way to make that setup at all beleivable, being rear-fed. In the end, I actually rotated the magazine around 180 degrees on #1, so it makes more sense. I'll post an update soon, Cheers!!
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went with the first design, as that was the one that, functionally, made the most sense to me. I really want to add some cool features, and I had a bunch of ideas jump out at me while making the blockouts. I'v incorporated a few and am carrying on, trying to figure out they come together as a whole.
    1. Hollowed out stock that a spare mag clips into.
    2. A little side-veiw tri-screen that can display something (not sure what yet) but could be a tracker or ammo count, toxic levels/radiations, I dunno
    3. A swing out digital interface. (was thinking in terms of kill-steaks, instead of taking out a separate thing to call in your kill streak, you could flip this screen interface out. OR... It could be attached to camera/sensor stuff on the front and you could get nightvision or something. You could even use it to view where the rifle's amiming if you are firing around a corner or holding it up abouve your head for cover.
    4: A sweet bi-pod that swings down and under the gun. stored off to the side when not in use.

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sweet, that's a great comparison. I've never seen that before, and that gif is the shiz!! Thanks, JoshuaG
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny update to make it more directional: