Home Technical Talk

xNormal Cage/ray distance issue

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I am new to polycount. I am having a serious issue with normal mapping using xNormal.
This is not my first attempt at normal mapping so I am pretty stuck on why this is not working with my work flow.
I sculpted in Zbrush. Retopo done in Topogun.
Polycount is around 4k. 
I tried to create normals in xNormal with a cage and got these results.
With cage

without cage(ray casting distance 2.0 but distorts the casting)

Model does have significant amount of details and pours that are not being projected into normal map.
Cage and Low poly model (triangulated because I read it might help but it did not and gave the same results)

Ive tried using multiple tutorials for xNormal and nothing has worked.
Please help. Thank you.

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Your cage bake appears to be providing the correct results, however it looks like an object space normal map rather than a tangent space normal map.  Click on the green "..." button next to the normal map entry in xNormal (in the Baking Options tab) and make sure "Tangent Space" is ticked.
  • onionemperor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon said:
    Your cage bake appears to be providing the correct results, however it looks like an object space normal map rather than a tangent space normal map.  Click on the green "..." button next to the normal map entry in xNormal (in the Baking Options tab) and make sure "Tangent Space" is ticked.
    Thank you for confirming the cage is correct because I was worried something was wrong. It does look like object space however the tangent space is turned on... :(