Home Technical Talk

How do I add a spiral edge-loop to a cylinder in 3D Studio Max?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

Im trying to model this detail for a VR scene for a client but I can't for the life of me work out a simple way to model it.

I've tried using Boolean on a Helix spline but the cleanup required will take hours and it also produces poor results.

Any Suggestions?

Thank you advance!

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Create a helix, decent amount of edgeloops, and then adjust the helix until it resembles the overall shape of the object you are modeling.  Then, you can easily use the continuous edge loops to reduce the triangle count and flatten out the outside edge to get  that flat cylinder look.  I am not sure if that made sense, but without pictures it is kinda tough lol.  "How do you model dem shapes" thread would be a good place to ask for a quick breakdown, it is pinned at the top of the tech talk for easy access for these questions.  
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You can also use the generate topology tool - a forgotten gem from the glory days of Polyboost  -that is buried in vert sub-object>polygon modeling>generate topology, within graphite. There is a spiral loop preset.

You can also use the twist modifier for similar.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also use the generate topology tool - a forgotten gem from the glory days of Polyboost  -that is buried in vert sub-object>polygon modeling>generate topology, within graphite. There is a spiral loop preset.

You can also use the twist modifier for similar.
    I can't see a spiral loop preset, am I being blind?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the phone now but it's the one with the 45degree angle grid. But your cylinder will need enough height aegs to support it.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Used this method to fix it if anyone else comes across this issue!

http://www.mgrote.com/tutorials/screw.php
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Alternatively, there's this tip from Pedro:

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RashedAlmetrami sorry for throwing you off with my suggestions. Was on the phone at the time and completely thinking a different modeling task altogether! :)

@Bek  Love that method. So simple and clever.
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @RashedAlmetrami sorry for throwing you off with my suggestions. Was on the phone at the time and completely thinking a different modeling task altogether! :)

@Bek  Love that method. So simple and clever.
    You might like this, then :smile:

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swordslayer Haha! If there's one thing that's kept me a loyal Max user all these years......it's the wonderful Maxscript community. :)

Is this your tool? Are those profiles custom or presets? Looks great.

Have you seen the bevel profile tools in Modo? I was going to post a request on Max Ideas based on it. You can basically add from a list of spline profile presets/custom as you create an edgeloop or face extrude/inset and the edgeloop takes on the profile. Almost like a dynamic Sweep modifier with the path being an edgeloop that is part of existing geo rather than a 2d spline. A very useful tool indeed.
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @musashidan: yes, it's my tool, and those were some random profiles to show the possibilities (plus there's the spline follow option to make stuff like shower hoses a few-click job).

I haven't seen the bevel profile tools (I haven't seen a lot of things and I'm always open to similar suggestions), but I know that Martin Geupel aka DeadClown made a tool that does exactly that, though I don't think he made it public yet - you might want to contact him if it'd be useful for you (most of the time, the reason for not releasing tools like this is that it takes more time to make it foolproof and spit out nice error messages than to make the 'hard part' itself; I have plenty of such unreleased tools).
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info @Swordslayer I messaged Martin. Helical Cyl looks like a lot of fun :)

It seems like the bevel profile has been in Modo since 401! A very clever tool. I'm surprised it hasn't appeared in other 3D packages as standard.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swordslayer just had a reply from Martin. He sent me a demo video of the tool and mentioned that you'd helped out. It's exactly what I had in mind. :) He's going to send me a beta copy to test out so I'll be sure to post up any results worth posting.

Thanks again, mate.
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @Swordslayer just had a reply from Martin. He sent me a demo video of the tool and mentioned that you'd helped out. It's exactly what I had in mind. :) He's going to send me a beta copy to test out so I'll be sure to post up any results worth posting.

Thanks again, mate.
    Glad to hear that and looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :)
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing script! what a time-saver!