Home Career & Education

Career options for Modo users?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
My primary concern for now is to tighten up my 2D character/prop/concept portfolio. Modo and Zbrush are my secondary concerns for now. Actually 3D is mainly supplemental to my 2D works. 

Well, I am not saying I will be proficient in Modo anytime soon. But if I do, what's the career options for me? Especially in LA area? I know that Modo is gaining popularity slowly but the mainstay in the industry is still Maya, which is bitch to learn. But I could immerse myself with Modo mindset real fast. (I stepped back from it because I wasn's sure what to focus on.)

So can I get into the industry without much knowledge in Maya, but mostly in Modo?

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if you apply for a modo centric studio you will have more chances. if you apply to a studio that mainly uses 3ds max or maya it depends if they are willing to get you a modo license. 
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Once you get a handle on 3D itself and how it functions, best practices, etc. the transition from something like Modo to Maya is rather insignificant. Get good at whatever one you are comfortable with first, and then learning the new program largely consists of just having a print out of all the important hotkeys you know you use while working, plus finding a buddy at a job or here on polycount to field any questions you can't figure out on your own about where certain buttons might be or tools specific to said program that may help improve your workflow.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I agree with bounchfx. sometimes it's easier to learn a simple app (or one YOU feel is simple) first before switching to a complex app (e.g. Maya). If it helps you to learn, stick with Modo.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Employers will always look at your skill as an artist first, software skills second. Not that it doesn't play a role when hiring someone, but becoming a skilled artist takes years, learning a new tool takes a couple days. 
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    In theory, game engines like Unity and Unreal that use FBX as a format would give you more freedom to use your appropriately licensed tool of choice at work.  It probably wouldn't be possible for you to use MODO exclusively at a studio with proprietary technology (game engine and exporters) unless you could export out of MODO to prep your artwork with the same tools that the other artists use, or had some kind of engineering support to integrate MODO into the artist pipeline.

In my experience, MODO is typically used by 1-3 artists at a larger studio, while the rest of the team is either Max or Maya.  I never imagined I'd be "that guy" where I work!  It's not come without some pain, however.  MODO's ability to easily generate "dirty mesh" and the lack of bridge tools to Max or Maya means more work prepping my geometry.

There are studios like Ubisoft Massive and id that do use MODO at a larger scale and produce great looking games with it!  
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    lefix said:
    Employers will always look at your skill as an artist first, software skills second. Not that it doesn't play a role when hiring someone, but becoming a skilled artist takes years, learning a new tool takes a couple days. 
    Exactly. My last job was all 3ds Max and I had 0 experience. I told them I would learn before I started. It wasn't a problem at all.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    I can share my perspective over the last twenty years, if that would help.  I've been exceedingly fortunate through most of my career (environment art, level design, and props) and have been given time to learn new 3D art tools on the job:  
    • I started with FormZ in my first professional 3D game development job after learning on 3D Studio R3+4 and Alias Wavefront in college.  
    • All of the Background Artists on Grim Fandango had to learn Softimage so that artists and animators could standardize on the same package.  I used Softimage for Grim Fandango and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.
    • The next package I learned on the job was 3D Studio Max for Star Wars: Starfighter.   I used Max for the next two to three years.
    • I went from Max to Maya when we started Psychonauts.  I remember being frustrated for a while with Maya's quirks after having gotten used to Max!
    • I stayed with Maya through my career at Factor 5 and for much of my time at Toys for Bob.  In total I've used Maya for almost fourteen years.
    • Over the last three years I've transitioned from Maya to MODO for modeling, retopology, and UVing.  Our export pipeline went from being Maya-based to being Max-based on Skylanders Imaginators.  Most of the artists at Toys for Bob stayed in Maya for modeling and UVing rather than switch to 3D Studio Max.

The animators I've worked with over the years have consistently preferred to work in Maya.

The tools you use will likely change over your career.  @ambelamba, whether you get into the industry hinges largely on your portfolio.  Based on my experience, if you can produce your best work with MODO, go that route.  If it's important to you to use an established package, I'd take the time to get familiar with Maya.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Ubisoft Massive employee here! We use : 3ds Max, Maya and Modo and it honestly doesn't matter, it's just a tool, it doesn't take that long to get used to a new one :) I know all three! :dizzy:
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    If you're doing concept art nobody cares what software you use. Most studios won't object to using other package for modelling (not exporting in an engine). Modo license goes both for studio and personal use so if you own one you won't need to convince people to buy it. 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The closer to the beginning of the pipeline you are, the greater the chances of using whichever application you're more comfortable with. So for example if you're creating static props and materials it probably doesn't matter that much. If you're creating characters it might matter a little and if you're animating its best to be using the same software since rigs aren't transferable.

They might have a lot of proprietary tools written for a specific app that they won't port. it all depends on the studio and how their pipeline is setup.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Yeah I use Modo and Maya at work and I love both for different reasons, Modo's become my primary software this year and I love it. Just look at the bad ass work that Machine Games pump out with Modo...

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I am starting to take a shine to Modo as well, but Max is still my main for now.

Like has been said above, use what is comfortable to you, get the concepts/basics down and outside of any special shaders/tools, it should carry over to other apps no problem.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, folks. Now I can give myself another shot at learning CG...again.