Home Career & Education

How to write cover letter if you are self-taught junior 3D artist?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
skycity02 polycounter lvl 7
Try to apply for opened game prop position, but not sure what to put in the cover letter. I am a self-taught junior artist. I know there are talented artists studied by self and landed the job successfully. They always said the quality of the portfolio is key to entry, but they never talk about the cover letter. Does the HR ever look at the cover letter?  Is there any tip that you pros can offer? 

I used to work as a production artist or graphic designer. I quitted the job to pursue the dream of 3D. I studied and created my portfolio during one year of full-time study at home. Should I say something about this experience in the cover letter? 

Any help is greatly appreciated and merry Christmas to all of you! 

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The cover letter is you trying to sell yourself to anyone looking at your resume and portfolio, including HR. It should be specific to the studio and the job posting, don't be too generic. If your past work experience is directly relevant to the job posting, mention it in the cover letter, otherwise don't (but of course leave it in your resume). 

• JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I have a funny thing with cover letters so don't take this as advice but more like just an opinion you could learn from if you want to. 

I very rarely write a rather long cover letter because for me I feel like it's not really the thing that a HR recruiter is going to focus on or get lacthed on to.

It's all about the portfolio firstly and than the CV and the experience ect.

I have a short personal statement in my CV detailing all my qualities, motives and outlook. I'm always thinking of how much time a recruiter would have to go through an actual detailed cover letter if they have to go through 100's of applicants. 

My layout for my cover letter is usually a few short paragraphs for instance:-

1) rather dumb but I do it anyway I'd say what I'm emailing for and where I found the job (HR very often want to know how you heard about the job)
    2)Very briefly why I think I would be good for the job
    3)my CV is attached and my website link is below 
    4)looking forward to a reply. 

So I keep doing it like this because it's worked. 

HOWEVER, if the job I'm applying for is the perfect job, the one im destined for, the one I've been working for or the game I've dreamt working I'll make damn sure that's why I'm applying. I'll make my personal attachment known or my love or appreciation is known straight away. 

Last thing, about the selftaught thing I think it's something you just have in your personal statement. I always see cover letters as a rather enthusiastic wave until they acknowledge you and get back to you to want to know more, that would be an interview, obviously.

So I hope this has helped some way. All the best. 
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    The cover letter is you trying to sell yourself to anyone looking at your resume and portfolio, including HR. It should be specific to the studio and the job posting, don't be too generic. If your past work experience is directly relevant to the job posting, mention it in the cover letter, otherwise don't (but of course leave it in your resume). 

Thanks for the tip! :)
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a funny thing with cover letters so don't take this as advice but more like just an opinion you could learn from if you want to. 

I very rarely write a rather long cover letter because for me I feel like it's not really the thing that a HR recruiter is going to focus on or get lacthed on to.

I have a short personal statement in my CV detailing all my qualities, motives and outlook. I'm always thinking of how much time a recruiter would have to go through an actual detailed cover letter if they have to go through 100's of applicants. 

1) rather dumb but I do it anyway I'd say what I'm emailing for and where I found the job (HR very often want to know how you heard about the job)

HOWEVER, if the job I'm applying for is the perfect job, the one im destined for, the one I've been working for or the game I've dreamt working I'll make damn sure that's why I'm applying. I'll make my personal attachment known or my love or appreciation is known straight away. 

Last thing, about the selftaught thing I think it's something you just have in your personal statement. I always see cover letters as a rather enthusiastic wave until they acknowledge you and get back to you to want to know more, that would be an interview, obviously.

I will take your advice as guideline when I write the cover letter. Appreciated.  
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    JamesMeader - sound advice!

Keep it short but try to come across as a real person. Info I can get from your resume doesn't need to be in the coverletter.
    Your coverletter can make a job application much more personal than a generic anonymous bullet point resume (and don't kid yourself, most resumes will look pretty much the same for art positions).

Now your cover letter won't win the application over your art. But it can sway the favors towards e.g. inviting you, because you sound interesting, or because, of all the similarly skilled guys, you were the one who got the extra mile to write a letter. When applying, don't dismiss the small things - sometimes they have more weight than you think they do!

• skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm said:
    JamesMeader - sound advice!

Keep it short but try to come across as a real person. Info I can get from your resume doesn't need to be in the coverletter. Your coverletter can make a job application much more personal than a generic anonymous bullet point resume (and don't kid yourself, most resumes will look pretty much the same for art positions).

Now your cover letter won't win the application over your art. But it can sway the favors towards e.g. inviting you, because you sound interesting, or because, of all the similarly skilled guys, you were the one who got the extra mile to write a letter. When applying, don't dismiss the small things - sometimes they have more weight than you think they do!

I actually wrote the cover letter in the way as you said that is more personal touch rather than follow the formula. I hope it works. Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated! :blush:
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Sorry, one more tip: when trying to give it a personal touch, please avoid the "I always wanted to work in games since I got my C64/Atari/Amiga/NES..." story. They're all the same for almost everyone, they're almost a cliche by now, even if true. This story certainly doesn't do anything for you to stand out of the crowd.
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm said:
    Sorry, one more tip: when trying to give it a personal touch, please avoid the "I always wanted to work in games since I got my C64/Atari/Amiga/NES..." story. They're all the same for almost everyone, they're almost a cliche by now, even if true. This story certainly doesn't do anything for you to stand out of the crowd.
    I wrote "I always want to work for XXXX (the studio I apply for) because it provides a platform that I can hone my skill further among those top talented artists and become part of top-of-line game creations". I am not sure if this line works but it sounds better than playing games.  Thanks again Kwramm
    :smiley:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    skycity02 said:
    I wrote "I always want to work for XXXX (the studio I apply for) because it provides a platform that I can hone my skill further among those top talented artists and become part of top-of-line game creations". I am not sure if this line works but it sounds better than playing games. 
    To be honest, that's super boring and generic. That's basically what every cover letter guideline will tell you to write for any job. Try to make your cover letter a bit more unique to you. Briefly mention how you left your career production artist in order to peruse a career in games, that you're self taught trying to break into the industry. Think about talking about some of your favorite artists *insert name of artist that you follow that works at that studio* work there, and mention if you followed any tutorials or guides or break downs or tutorials from them. If that studio has released tech docs about how they approached art for a certain project, maybe mention if you adopted any of those techniques into your workflow.

Also, about putting "I've always wanted to work for XXXX" You want to be aware of the work the studio has done, and it's fine to mention it, but you also want to avoid being a fan boy of the studio unless you are sincere and keep it reasonable. If you put that XXXX is your favorite studio, make sure you can name more than 1 game they've produced and that you actually know about the studio.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks @Kwramm, it definitely is finding a balance between meaningful and not making it too long. 

Great points @ZacD, definitely consider a lot of you've mentioned and add to the new cover letters i'll be writing next year....

• skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    skycity02 said:
    I wrote "I always want to work for XXXX (the studio I apply for) because it provides a platform that I can hone my skill further among those top talented artists and become part of top-of-line game creations". I am not sure if this line works but it sounds better than playing games. 
    To be honest, that's super boring and generic. That's basically what every cover letter guideline will tell you to write for any job. Try to make your cover letter a bit more unique to you. Briefly mention how you left your career production artist in order to peruse a career in games, that you're self taught trying to break into the industry. Think about talking about some of your favorite artists *insert name of artist that you follow that works at that studio* work there, and mention if you followed any tutorials or guides or break downs or tutorials from them. If that studio has released tech docs about how they approached art for a certain project, maybe mention if you adopted any of those techniques into your workflow.

Also, about putting "I've always wanted to work for XXXX" You want to be aware of the work the studio has done, and it's fine to mention it, but you also want to avoid being a fan boy of the studio unless you are sincere and keep it reasonable. If you put that XXXX is your favorite studio, make sure you can name more than 1 game they've produced and that you actually know about the studio.
    That's truly a great tip that goes into more detail and is suitable for my situation. You have my thank again ZacD.  Sadly this application is already sent. I will certainly apply your tip in next application. oh, I actually did name two games in my favorite list that they made. 
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Kwramm, it definitely is finding a balance between meaningful and not making it too long. 

Great points @ZacD, definitely consider a lot of you've mentioned and add to the new cover letters i'll be writing next year....

You are an experienced pro, writing a cover letter should be a piece of cake for you  :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    skycity02 said:
    You are an experienced pro, writing a cover letter should be a piece of cake for you  :D
    i would struggle writing one. i didn't do that in maybe.. i dunno 15 years or so :P 
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    skycity02 said:
    i would struggle writing one. i didn't do that in maybe.. i dunno 15 years or so :P 
    A master like you doesn't need a cover letter anyway.
    :blush:
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just send them your portfolio and cv . thats literally all that matters , incase there is any doubt regarding if you are a good fit or not they will just ask you. just focus on portfolio because cover letters at least in my opinion/experience are just getting in the way to acess what matters : art
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shorter your cover letter the more confidence you show that your portfolio will be able to do all of the talking.

As a person who has had to sift through cover letters and resumes, I only read them if the portfolio is really good and I want to know more about the person.

The ones I was able to tolerate reading, where ones that the person dropped the robotic formal BS and spoke like a human being.
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just send them your portfolio and cv . thats literally all that matters , incase there is any doubt regarding if you are a good fit or not they will just ask you. just focus on portfolio because cover letters at least in my opinion/experience are just getting in the way to acess what matters : art
    Thanks for the tip, this is the way I was thinking. Sending portfolio and CV makes easier for both.
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shorter your cover letter the more confidence you show that your portfolio will be able to do all of the talking.

As a person who has had to sift through cover letters and resumes, I only read them if the portfolio is really good and I want to know more about the person.

The ones I was able to tolerate reading, where ones that the person dropped the robotic formal BS and spoke like a human being.
    Great tip. Thanks for the input! One thing, I usually put the portfolio link on top of cover letter and resume, so the HR have to open either one to get the link. Is that easy for them to view my portfolio? 
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    We actually had 2 classes at uni just about applying to jobs, and I can only agree with what people said above based on that.
    Don't be boring, don't use standard lines like "I've always wanted to work here" etc. and keep it personal, short and slightly formal.

Regarding your portfolio link, put it somewhere in the beginning of your resume and under your name, i.e.:

Kind regards,

Skycity02

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/daiwang

At least that is what I was thought, you can add links to your LinkedIn and what not there too.
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    Build an outstanding portfolio that shows your skills and cover letters are unnecessary. Even resumes are worthless if your work doesn't immediately grab attention.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    If the job ad says send a cover letter , I'd probably follow that requirement and not ignore that.

Art is all that matters like others have said , true , but if the ad says cover letter , ignoring it might show that you can't read the requirements of the advertisement of the position.