Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Neverhood UE4 - First step as an indie dev. All live on twitch. (Gameplay!)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
Hello fellow Polycounters,

This is a thread I'll occasionally update with my progress on a remake to The Neverhood I'm making on UE4. It's not the full game, just the demo parts, and I'm doing this to learn how to develop games in order to continue making my original games afterwards.

I'm showing everything I do live every day, on Twitch. You're invited to join.

[NEW][Gameplay Video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSxcR4Q6m4w

Early UE4 render

The entire process is archived on Youtube, and it includes everything including my learning process with UE4, an engine I never worked with before.

I'm live every day, Sunday to Thursday, 3PM EST.
You can also follow my Twitter for updates on schedule and stuff. 

Hope to see you there!

Replies

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hi. It looks interesting! Good luck with this.
    Remember that you could be asked to stop because The Neverhood is owned by EA. The team behind that game even tried to get the rights back to make a sequel, but had to invent a new IP on their own instead.

A couple of posts about the legal aspects of fan-art:
    - http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2281099/#Comment_2281099
    - http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2452876/#Comment_2452876
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm pretty scared about that.
    It's not only the original team who got denied use of the IP, I know there have been attempts to remake the game in other forms, which got shut down.

The difference this time is that it's "just fan art".
    Of course in the end I'm at EA's graces with this. I don't intend to publish a game in the end, just some videos of it to show off. So hopefully that'll make things easier for EA's legal team to wave off. But if they decide to shut me down they have the right to, and I'll have to stop.

But as long as I can continue, I will, since my main goal in this is to learn. If I have to stop eventually, I hope at least I get to keep my videos online.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Saw this in WAYWO and had to stop by. Love this project so so much, and those clay materials are amazing! :) Really looking forward to what you have in store!
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton said:
    Saw this in WAYWO and had to stop by. Love this project so so much, and those clay materials are amazing! :) Really looking forward to what you have in store!
    Thanks man! Appreciate the words. :)
    Hope to see you around on the stream!
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    why not make it original enough to be untouchable by ea? you could make a neverhood inspired game, and probably get all the stuff from the original if you change the names and the models slightly. any reason to make a exact remake?
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why not make it original enough to be untouchable by ea? you could make a neverhood inspired game, and probably get all the stuff from the original if you change the names and the models slightly. any reason to make a exact remake?
    Well, it's mainly because this is a learning stage for me. I don't really now how to program too well, and I gotta learn it all on the fly. If I'd take a project that requires me to come up with my own art, story and game design, it would take a lot longer and require me to spread my focus on other subjects instead of focusing most of my effort on the programming aspect.

By recreating something that exists, I get all the designs, the puzzles, everything is decided upon and my challenge is focused entirely on solving the "how to pull it off" problem - not the "what should I pull off" problem.

Another big reason is because the game I truly want to develop once I feel up to it, is not a point & click quest game. I don't have a game I want to develop that's a point and click, and doing it for the sake of being able to publish it would get me into somewhere I don't want to be. Also, I keep the development period on this short, about 6 months. Hardly enough time to develop a full game, but probably enough time to get a demo going, which is what I'm doing with this.

In short, having fun with the art style, saving time on design decisions, focusing my efforts on learning what I lack. :)
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with a gameplay video!