Home General Discussion

Fan art. Okay or not?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I'm looking for inspiration for making 3d models. I'm looking for concepts already drawn out so I can focus on texturing and modeling. Right now I'm thinking of either reimagining 2d art made for 16 bit games or taking an iconic character and stylizing that said character. For a 3d art portfolio, is this acceptable or not? Does it really matter?

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Hazardous has Chun Li in his portfolio and no art police has gone after him.

As long as you're not profiting and you give credit, I think it's fairly safe to use fanart. If the IP holders contact you, you'll obviously have to deal with them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just make sure you present it as fan art, and aren't trying to make money off of it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Fan art is free marketing if you don't make money off it. And it is a fine thing to do. Sakimichan also makes lots of fanarts and ppl pay her a lot monthly to see her work. (subscribe to see her fanart, she doesn't sell them). If you're commissioned to do fan art, that's fine too.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Remember that there's no such thing as "as long as you don't make money off it"

It's an IP someone else owns and its a pretty clear case of IP infringement, but it's unlikely they'll bother with someone making fan art (Even though they have the full ability to)

So it's legally not okay, but ethically accepted. At the worst the owner can request a takedown.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Fan art is free marketing if you don't make money off it. And it is a fine thing to do. Sakimichan also makes lots of fanarts and ppl pay her a lot monthly to see her work. (subscribe to see her fanart, she doesn't sell them). If you're commissioned to do fan art, that's fine too.

Yes, it's fantastic marketing for big companies.

It's not illegal to do fan art, it starts getting to illegality once you start distributing it in some way (be it for money of for free), taking money to paint an IP you or the payer does not own is illegal, taking any money in relation to you drawing other peoples IP or such is also illegal.
    But again, ethics are seperated from legality, I think fan art is fine but that belief won't hold up in court.

I think the keyword to use is SAFE, it's SAFE to create fan-art in portfolios.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    As long as sakimichan is making $500,000 doing fanart, i think you'll be AOK.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Feng Zhu said you shouldn't do any fan art if you want to be a concept artist.

On doing popular concept it is a double edge sword. If it not like the popular character you are modelling, then it is easy to spot. Someone here did a Jinx model that suffered from this problem. The problem is that league of legends is a popular game and Jinx is a popular character and so it possible someone has played Jinx for 20-40 hours.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I disagree with feng on some level.

Doing fanart can give you insight into how a well designed character works. You can learn a lot from it.

Just don't do it the majority of the time.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    For a 3d art portfolio, is this acceptable or not?

Sure it's acceptable. Franchises like Star Wars, DC/ Marvel comics, Aliens, Transformers....they have game and film projects going all the time by different studios (sequels, reboots, movie tie-ins, etc).

You'll make your portfolio more attractive when jobs come up and you have samples (good samples, of course) displaying your skills in an established universe.

Walter White, Clint Eastwood, Tyrion Lannister bust sculpts are pretty popular.

You can even do one off fan sculpts for a fee without worries. You'll only really get into trouble if you mass produce, in which case you'll need to pay license to sell.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm pretty sure I've seen Feng Zhu do some projects that could almost be considered fan art, things that could easily fit in the Star Wars or other fantasy universes, and a homage or interpretation of Doom. You do probably want to avoid just doing fan art or just simple recreations of existing IP.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair, I wouldn't really want to see fanart in a concept portfolio either.

Unless its some kind of study or improving on the existing design and provide breakdowns and orthos.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    pangaea wrote: »
    Feng Zhu said you shouldn't do any fan art if you want to be a concept artist.

Feng Zhu isn't the best person to reference when talking about matters of ethics in art and business.

Anyway.

I agree with skankerzero. If you're doing a study and making something that's essentially identical to another piece, there's no reason to have it in your portfolio. That's like having a master copy of something like the Mona Lisa; sure, you've shown that you're capable of some difficult techniques, but nobody's going to care because you just copied something that already exists.

If you're doing something like the Comicon contents where you put a new twist on an old design, and you're able to do it well, then I'd reconsider.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Here's a tip for student concept artists.

MMOs have in-game custom character generators where you pick anatomy features, hair color, costume accessory details, etc.

For practice and possible folio material use those for study or reference to generate your characters in a given franchise world. Take advantage of neutral pose animations. Screengrab, black out silhouette, then use your design talents to make something new (from something old).

It's like using a provided game level editor to make your own maps but in this case to make your characters.

:thumbup:
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Making art inspired by other art is fine if you do it right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work
    In copyright law, a derivative work is an expressive creation that includes major copyright-protected elements of an original, previously created first work (the underlying work). The derivative work becomes a second, separate work independent in form from the first. The transformation, modification or adaptation of the work must be substantial and bear its author's personality to be original and thus protected by copyright. Translations, cinematic adaptations and musical arrangements are common types of derivative works.

(Emphasis is mine)

Make fan art but do your own take on their art and it's the definition of derivative work, which is protected. And protected in the way that lets you make money from it. Just make sure you're putting your own style in in some way.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Making art inspired by other art is fine if you do it right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

(Emphasis is mine)

Make fan art but do your own take on their art and it's the definition of derivative work, which is protected. And protected in the way that lets you make money from it. Just make sure you're putting your own style in in some way.

You can't make derivative work from stuff you do not own, it does not transfer original IP rights over to you. Original IP rights are required to make that derivative work.

The only detail here is that an original IP owner cannot take someones derivative work as their own, and the person infringing on the original IP cannot distribute this without removing the infringing IP in the piece.

The only way to use someones IP is through the owner or fair use, and that's on a case by case basis.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    pangaea Uh?
    I've worked on a lot of fan art myself, here's my opinion on the matter.
    I think something like what I did on Jinx is a ''good way'' of working, meaning I did not straight up try to reproduce a character following the exact art direction-proportions of the original character. I tried to make this my ''own'' take of a character design I really liked by working on it following my own taste and taking a different artistic direction.
    I did not make any money of of this, it's just a cool learning experience and allows me to work on a character design I like without having to make it myself.
    The popularity of the character can also be great to get a little bit of exposure.

What I did on Ellie is a little bit more tricky. It's a little closer to a reproduction , even tho I still see it as ''my own take'' on the character, my goal was to stay pretty close to the original design etc. So in that case it might falls in a little bit with what swizzle is saying. ''trying to make something identical to another piece'' isn't exaclty a method I would recommend either. However, I decided to work on this character in that way for a very specific reason, likeness, improve the quality of my work by trying to reach a ''goal'' in matching that kind of quality the original character had.
    I guess I saw it as a study (as a lot of 2d artist will study the work of a master to learn from it)

In that way Ellie was a great great learning experience, made me really push myself to achieve a certain level of quality but lots of people might find it's not the best way to do ''fan art'' and I would agree with them.
  • CafeNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    Art teaches nothing by itself, reproduction tech you only how need put line on the right way, thats it, nothing less nothing more, thats why many schools have this program in the curriculum, so dont need think fan art bad or good its just way for improve skill

for creathing something new need alot work, so easiest way creaty fan art, and after when you got some skill you can make something for yourself but for it you need learn alot and read studing tons of books
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    I believe Josh Nizzi was hired originally to work Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen because someone saw his awesome Long Haul concept art on CGSociety, so I think that fan art, if it's done extremely well, can be a good thing.