Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Gunship

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tweedie polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, first time posting on Polycount :smile: 

I'm modelling a gunship and just finished blocking out a very rough version with some primitives. I'm working from a concept by Alex Ichim:

And here's what I've blocked out so far:

I had to change a few parts of the design so they'd work from other views, and invented a lot of the top/rear shapes so they felt a bit more believable and had a decent silhouette. Next up I'm going to try and work out the landing gear, then I'll start properly modelling it. 

Any feedback at this stage would be really appreciated, want to finalise the general forms and weight before I move on! :smiley:

Replies

• tweedie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't manage to post as I was making progress, but here's an update. I haven't started texturing yet but the model's almost finished and I've been playing around with colour schemes. Whilst the concept is obviously of a military aircraft, I wanted to have some fun with other colours too. 

Apologies for an image heavy post!

Any feedback / opinions would be much appreciated :) Thanks for looking!
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    It looks pretty good so far.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Looks good, maybe you could add chamfers on the corners of the cockpit windows, those look to straight compared to the rest of the ship
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It seems like there are many smaller details from the concept you're missing. All your big forms seem about right, but the lack of small details is robbing it of the sense of scale the concept has.
  • tweedie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that crit guys, very helpful, I really appreciate it :)

I've been whittling away at some more bits of it, and moved over to Unity as I wanted to try out their new Area/Tube lights and volumetric fog from the Adam demo. I'm also using bac9-flcl 's wonderful deferred decal shader. First time using it, and boy has it changed things, crisp details wherever you want them (unexpectedly crisp so i should probably blur some of the panel lines etc). Haven't worked into the environment much at all at the moment, so it's pretty bare, but it was suggested I added some props to help with scale so I threw some in very quickly. I want to work into a lot more of the small details and general weathering, but probably won't be able to for a little while. Anyway, here's a quick flythrough. Thanks for looking!