Home Career & Education

Art test Failed - Can I ask company where I should improve?

Moonshayde
null
So just as topic states. I recently heard back that I was not selected to interview after my art test submission was reviewed. I was wondering if it is okay for me to write back and ask where I could improve my work, or what wasn't exactly holding up in their eyes? I don't want to be considered rude or irritating, just honestly would like to get a general sense on the direction I need to move my art forward in. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I guess many companies that do art test might not bother to answer, but I think that is the least they can do.
    I think art tests shouldn't be needed if you have a portfolio with a couple of pieces, they should be able to tell you based on that.
    If they really have to give out art tests it should be to make a pick between the top candidates and then the least they can do is invest some of their time into it to make it worth it for the guys doing it.

So yeah ask.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'd ask.

Frankly it's a pretty dick move to invite an artist to spend hours on an art test and then not give them any feedback for it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because they weigh the art tests against one another they might not offer up what was the deciding factor, which might not have much to do with the actual art tests. If you do hear back you will probably be technical flaws but often those might not hang a candidate, where style and production quality might lead them to favor one candidate over the other.

So you might hear: "your UV layout was a mess" 
    But you won't hear: "we picked this other candidate because..." 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Can I ask what sort of things are included on an art test? What the test looks like as a whole?
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Okay cool, So I am going to answer questions. No don't ask, your never going to get an official answer no matter what; this goes for any reputable company out there.

The reason for this is that for HR will not release information to any candidate that could in turn jeopardize the studio legally with that said information.

So you're not going to get any information... like nothing, zip, zero, and maybe even zilch. Well not anything definitive, just the standard vague, "it's not you it's us."

So to your second question; why you didn't get the job, (I assume this is a game industry job or you wouldn't be posting on here) is... You don't have any game ready assets in your portfolio. My good guess is that someone saw your stuff and thought you were a good artist, and threw you an art test.

Which yes is a pain in the ass but there are two very good reasons for them. One, it shows that you can hit art style, quality of work, and that you're technical enough to make game assets. Two, how much do you want the job. If you nail it you really want the gig, if you half ass it, it shows, and they could pass you for attitude.

So in my head it went down like this. Your art test might have looked great... I don't just make assumptions, but technically might have be a game budget nightmare with normal map weirdness all over the place.

So what you might want to do now, if you want to work in games, is to focus on making game art. You're in luck, polycount is a great place for just that. Also it seems like you might have the harder part down, the art part. The rest is learning tools :)

I hope this helps, good luck out there.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    What´s wrong with a studio saying something like "Unfortunately, your modeling skills did not match our expectations" or "we would have liked to see some more detailed textures" or... you get it. Why can´t a studio reply in such a fashion and A) help the candidate understand why he didn´t get the job and B) help him become a better artist by giving at least sooomehow specific criitique?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Something like.. (this isn't how I would write it 100% but I'll just spit out some thoughts)

"Hi (blank), thank you again for sending over the art test. If the team is not too busy, I would love to hear some feedback on what parts of the asset they felt needed improvement."

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I will respectfully disagree with @ZombieWells . While im sure what he's said is very truthful and accurate at his studio, it wont be at every studio. 

I ask every time I get a rejection. Most of the time, ya, they dont give any feedback. But sometimes they do. Even if it's rare, sometimes they do. There's no reason NOT to ask. What could go wrong? You dont get the job you already didnt get? If they do give you notes, then 6 months to a year later you reapply and fix those first mistakes, they could remember. Member that guy? Yaaa, I member ... They may not give you super detailed notes on every little thing you can improve, but Ive gotten answers like "We felt your test didnt match our studios style" or While your test was well done, we went with someone with more experience.  It's not always the quality of the test that is the reason you didnt get it. Hell, there are times when the studio knows exactly who they want to hire, but they have to post it online, and look like they are looking for other candidates purely for legal reasons.  

I usually go with something along the lines of:

"Hi ____, 

Thank you for taking the time to review my test, and for giving me the chance to begin with. While I was hoping for a better outcome, I do understand. If it's not too much trouble, may I ask if there is any feedback you or the team could provide me in terms of what I could improve on my test, or if it came down to experience?

Thanks again,

____"

Ya, 8 or 9 times outta 10, they`ll write back saying unfortunately we cannot provide feedback at this time, but you are more than welcome to try again at a later date. but that other 1 or 2 times, they`ve give you a brief breakdown. 

Hell, one of my friends got through 2 interviews (phone then in person). They told him no. He found one of the people in the interview online and asked for feedback on what he could improve. There was no art test, but wanted to know what he could improve in his interview. The guy ended up giving him an art test, which he nailed, and they gave him the job in the end! He turned a no into a yes by asking for feedback. And this was at a reputable AAA company. 

Ask. 

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Find one of the leads on linkedin, and ask for legit advice. Ask for them to lay it on brutally as they can.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'd say there's no harm in asking but don't be surprised or offended if you don't hear back. 
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've only done one art test in the last decade or so, but the studio was perfectly happy to offer up their criticisms. 

You can and absolutely should ask where you need to improve.
  • adrxzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    Just ask and also follow JacqueChoi's advice.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I recommend to generally ask for feedback on every rejected application, even if you haven't done an art test, you always have the chance to get useful information back and risk nothing. This actually applies for all jobs, not just as an artist in the game industry.
  • Moonshayde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshayde null
    Thank-you everybody for your wonderfully thoughtful replies. I am going to go ahead and ask if they could give me some feedback. It's a small and very personable studio so I am hoping they will oblige. I am only just starting to try get into the game industry so wanted some thoughts on how people go about asking and if it's considered rude in this industry etc.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    So just as topic states. I recently heard back that I was not selected to interview after my art test submission was reviewed. I was wondering if it is okay for me to write back and ask where I could improve my work, or what wasn't exactly holding up in their eyes? I don't want to be considered rude or irritating, just honestly would like to get a general sense on the direction I need to move my art forward in. Appreciate any thoughts on this.
    Sure, there is nothing wrong with asking as long as you do it politely. In fact this is one way to get work eventually. You can contact companies and ask them what they are looking for and then make it. Its one way to network. Be carefull about giving stuff away because you will bump into unscrupulous companies along your path.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    In my experience whenever I've been involved in the hiring process we've been offering critique and explanations on how they could improve, both on the art-test and in general. So I think it's fine to ask for it!  

And also in my opinion if you ask someone to art-test for you it's only fair to give the critique/feedback afterwards. I have friends who work with me that got feedback on their art-test, adjusted their art-test to the feedback, added some extra within the time-frame and got hired. It just shows willingness to learn, listen and follow feedback.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also chiming in here to agree that you should seek feedback, both after an art test, but also after an interview that didn't result in a hire.

I always send a follow-up email, a day after an interview. Something like:
    It was a pleasure meeting with you and your staff.
    Thanks for taking the time to talk, and thanks again for lunch!
    Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    But as others have said, don't be offended if you don't hear back from them.

To give you some idea how your art test or interview is dealt with... hiring someone new is a process that most artists don't want to deal with. Lead Artists and Art Directors are usually very busy people, and this is just another one of the many tasks which are taking them away from actually making art. Most don't want to spend any more time on the process than is absolutely required. Writing up some politely-worded critique for each applicant takes time.

Yes, you should receive some sort of polite notification. But in reality that's not what happens.

People are busy, stuff falls through the cracks, HR is sometimes incompetent, they haven't decided between artists yet, they're still looking for a possibly better candidate but might end up hiring you instead, the position suddenly became unneeded due to a shifted deadline, etc. 

For more insight into the process, check out Game Industry Recruiter Taking In Questions
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I've gotten pretty detailed feedback on a failed test from one major studio. I wouldn't count on it, but it can't hurt to ask.