Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Interior

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
willjdudley polycounter lvl 2
Hey folks,

I'm struggling down the home stretch on a project, it would be great to get some critique. Built in Unity, this is my first full environment using PBR.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Nice looking environment.. My five cents could be on the lightning.. I feel its a little flat atm
  • willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet said:
    Nice looking environment.. My five cents could be on the lightning.. I feel its a little flat atm
    Thanks! I've been fiddling with the lighting a lot.
    Here's my latest:

Also made this little guy to float around the corridors!

Cheers!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    You got a solid base to push this to the next level, so good job on your current progress. 

Regarding what @Sajeet said ,I really think you should work up on your lighting.

Right now everything is a bit too bright, the dark areas are just not dark enough. Also your light sources does not emit enough light in to your scene, so right now they are really weak. I think you also could put some light flares from the lights and up their self illumination, as they are quite flat now for being lights and it does not seem as the lamps are glowing at all. 

Maybe add some dust particles in the air and some smoke maybe from a vent?

Btw, I love the robot, it is adorable. Good luck. 
  • ParksMarks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParksMarks polycounter lvl 5
    Hi WilljDudley,
    I did a quick paintover of a lighting idea. I lowered the ambient light, and focused more attention on the point lights on the wall ( I added some of my own as well along the floor) I also made things a bit more reflective. If unity has a box reflection probe, this would be a great opportunity to use it. I added some fog to pick up the tube colour and separate the background from the foreground. I assumed your focal point was that bright white area down the hall, but you could do more to draw attention to it

I hope you find this useful. I could do another variation if you were thinking of doing a different mood.
    All the best:D
  • willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! You guys are incredible! Thank you so much, I'll have a go at all this on Monday.

Cheers! 
  • Michael Rosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael Rosa polycounter lvl 4
    The lighting, but that's easy for me to say, as I suck at it. I wanted to tell you that you're doing a great job. I would also find better placement for the character and bring attention to him. Personally, I'd leave the character out and bring attention to your environment work, which is very good. 

The paint over was an even better representation of lighting. I was actually satisfied with the updates you made...but then @ParksMarks stepped it up even more. 
  • chrisevansart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisevansart polycounter lvl 9
    Look great mate! Good job.
  • willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi folks, here's an update. I've been working on the lighting a lot. I think i'm still having some lightmap issues. They look pretty clean in some places, but awful in others.

Hopefully I'm making some progress with everyone's suggestions!
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    The lighting tweaks you've done have really help, good job.

Love the little robot.

Cant help much with the lightmap issues I'm afraid. 
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Hi folks, here's an update. I've been working on the lighting a lot. I think i'm still having some lightmap issues. They look pretty clean in some places, but awful in others.

Hopefully I'm making some progress with everyone's suggestions!
    Post your troubled looking meshes, and good looking meshes with the light maps :) It'll help us troubleshoot if you need some advice
  • Dave Dind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Dind polycounter lvl 11
    Man, this is looking nice! I'm really diggin' that you've got some places to take cover behind too. Seems like it would be a fun area to have a shoot-out in :)
  • willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Dind said:
    Man, this is looking nice! I'm really diggin' that you've got some places to take cover behind too. Seems like it would be a fun area to have a shoot-out in :)
    Thanks very much, I have been trying to think of this as a game level, so that's great to hear!
  • mawilbolou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mawilbolou polycounter lvl 11
    Looks nice man, Im wondering how that huge continuous glass tube was put up there, if it isnt made in sections, but the rest is nice :) 
  • SLIVIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIVIZ polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work mate. Personally I think if that blue liquid in the tube was emitting light the scene would have a bit more of a blue hue to it.

Other than that looking ace!

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Nice scene and great style !

For the lighting, just start all black. Begin with a general directional light (i hope there are some windows in your scene where the 'space light' could come from ?:) ). Then add your principal fill lights from your props (the blue glass tube is the most important source light here as mentionned, btw the most important hero prop aswell)...after you have also the lights on the wall, pillars etc (kinda spot lights but not only)... after that, sometimes it is suffisant, if not (not your taste or too dark), you can add some kinda 'point lights' to create more GI at some places. You can also add a 'skylight' to increase the global level lighting.

Personally, i'd see more reflections on the floor (at some places at least), perhaps decrease the roughness map on some props (or increase the Glossiness), i mean make the roughness map more 'blacky' or the inverse (ie glossiness) more whity (can't remember atm if Unity uses Roughness PBR or Glossiness PBR system)  ;)   Keep up the nice work !

• willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm currently busy doing some contract work (Yay!) so haven't had much time to work on this (Boo!). I should be able to get back to it in the new year :)
  • willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally dragged myself back to this. Tweaked the lighting, added some color correction, and re-textured the walls. Deep breaths... 
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    looks good :) maybe add some minor wear, it all looks brand new. Keep it up!
  • willjdudley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good :) maybe add some minor wear, it all looks brand new. Keep it up!
    Thanks! I've been giving it a go, think I'm doing ok. 

I'm at the point where I can spend an hour tweaking and rebaking the light, and have no idea if I have improved it or made it worse. So that's fun!