Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making an Orc!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys! I'm working on this orc in my spare time for the purpose of growing my portfolio and improving my skills, so I thought it would be cool to post its development. I've taken as reference the Grassetti's and Zabala's works among others. 

The idea is to make a "slave" instead of the traditional orc, that's why he's wearing that clothing (it's not done yet). I think I'll also add some fetters. Right now I'm focusing on the legs.

I'll be posting more WIPs soon! :D

Replies

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    I've been out these days but took it up this evening. Made the belt and blocked the clothes

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    A couple of WIPs. I made some changes in the cloth and blocked the shackles but I'm not sure if I'll change them later.
    I'll add details to the body like scars this evening :)

• Nathanramsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathanramsey polycounter lvl 5
    I think its coming along pretty nicely, the anatomy is keeping up too. Any plans on adding a bit more bulk to him or going to keep him relatively at that size?
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    great model!
    i don't think we need any more cg orcs to be honest. 
    but great work techincally :)
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    @Nathanramsey thanks! Hands and feet have been a headache. No, I will keep him at that size

Thanks @Tomiajayi Hahaha you're right, there are bunch of cgi orcs in the internet, that's why I had in mind to do a slave orc, to try to make it look different. Plus, to make an orc is something that I've always wanted to do since I started sculpting.

More WIPs! I would say that the sculpting is almost done, so I'll do the retopology soon  :)

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hi there! It's been forever since last time I posted something due to I've been busy but now I got some time.

I took up again this project a few weeks ago in order to put in practice what I'm learning about Substance Painter, Marmoset and texturing in general. 

I would like to know what you think about  :)
  • xerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xerpe polycounter lvl 6
    Not bad. Personally He doent scream slave to me. The idea is definetly a Cool one and you could do so much more to make him an original looking orc because He,s a slave. what i would do ( dont know if you would) is go back to the sculpting phase an make him look worn out completely. scars, broken teeth a huncback, deformed muscles, an obedient face, a blind eye  maybe ironed stamps of some clan or Legion.  this Will make him truly original looking and make him pop alot more so that you dont get that "ohh another cg orc here we go..." Opinion.  Also dont be affraid of leting go of symmetry especially with organic monsterlike creatures.
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    @xerpe Don't think I'll go back to the sculpting phase cuz it's kind of an old project that I would like to finish, otherwise I could get tired of it again  :s  but I liked your ideas, I will ironed stamps of a clan and put some color to the scars. Plus, I think I'll try to play with the skin color to make wounds  :)

• xerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xerpe polycounter lvl 6
    Great to hear that. Finishing Old work is always tiresome ;-). Cant wait to see the finished work !