Home General Discussion

Does music hinder you or help you focus while working?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Hey, just interested to know what do you think about listening to music while working on your art. Does it help you concentrate or does it bother you?

Personally, I'm always wondering whenever animating if having music doesn't indirectly makes my work worse that it usually. 

This image speaks for itself (Milt Kahl's was one of the Disney's nine ol men, a genius of it's time and a reference for myself).

Thing is, whenever I'm listening to music while working, I do progress ''faster'', I achieve my set objectives quicker than expected and I always manage to finish my work without always being interupted with constant breaks make the whole process smoother.

Thing is; whenever I go back to it; I ALWAYS find stupid obvious rookie mistakes that I usually don't do when I'm working NOT listening to music. I then have this odd sensation that I should not be listening to music while working, even though, I always listen to calm, dreamy, relaxed, instrumentals music....

A shame though..

Am I the only one?

Replies

• Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Personally, I need background noise to be able to focus.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I listen to rain recordings when I am doing anything that requires thought.  It removes all of the micro-distractions of the office.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php

Works wonders, especially when played through speakers. I use it to cover the busy pedestrian city street noise below, but also sometimes in the middle of the night when things are dead silent. I can let it run for hours.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Depends on my mood. Sometimes I have trouble focusing, especially if it's particularly interesting music that keeps asking for my attention. But other times, I absolutely rely on it to help me keep my focus.

Overall, I'd say I have music on more than I don't. But I'm not an animator. I imagine you could potentially have your timing influenced by the rhythm of the music.

Maybe if you map out the scratches in my textures, and put it into an audio program, it'll play back as "Frankly Mr Shankly"
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    I have always looked for music that fits the mood of the work I am creating. For example i am currently creating an elf goblin character so I'm listening to lots of harry potter and Narnia soundtrack to keep my head inspired. As a director, I often will work with a music composer before the animation, so the animators can visualize the scene better, then the animation rough cut goes back to the composer to tighten the score. This back and forth I have found to be so much better then passing off an animated scene locked down to a composer.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Might be a good idea to avoid wordy, distracting, or new music, unless you're doing something that doesn't require thought.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Like alot of other people I listen to music while working to block out possible distractions. I try to stick to instrumental music, or anything that has minimal lyrics, so soundtracks and some trance/electronic tend to be good options for me.

I don't really find that listening to music affects my work one way or another, but I find without it I end up a bit slower. Bigger slowdowns are definitely keeping email and chat clients open though.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Depends. Instrumental or foreign music works sometimes because my mind then doesn't end up focusing on the lyrics. Mostly helps with boring tasks where my I need something to soak up idle brain capacity - however I notice I'm more tired when I listen to music all day long, so unconscious parts of the brain still react to it. Something with a rhythm when work needs to progress, and I reserve the metal for hard core shit at work where i have to just power through to get things done. Classic music...here and there. I haven't found the ideal scenario for it yet, but Vivaldi and Bach work for me.
  • Drocho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drocho polycounter lvl 2
    I find that I do work much more efficiently without music, but I still put some on occasionally just to kill the silence.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Drocho said:
    I find that I do work much more efficiently without music, but I still put some on occasionally just to kill the silence.
    Silcence?! I wish I wouldn't work in one of those "it enhances communication! (hurr hurr)" open offices. If it were quiet, I would just leave my headphones at home.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it easier to work with music on most of the time, depends on what i'm doing and my mood as it does with anyone, I suppose. Plus I find it easier to to actively push and gauge my time better. I guess the only times that having music on bothers me is a sign that I should be actively concentrating more or the current song just sucks.

Kwramm, I remember seeing a study out there that faster or more aggressive music has that tiring effect. I know it does for me, but it's hard to isolate that coupled with coffee and probably working faster. I typically go for fast and percussive music like breakbeat, jungle, hard industrial or some good fast rap.
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    I need background music to zone me into the work. otherwise I keep listening to what everyone is talking about near me and keep getting distracted. So I listen to rap that way I don't HAVE to focus on what they are saying :D
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it depends on the kind of work for me. if i have to juggle tasks and apps like when exporting, rendering and finishing then i need total silence - i even put earplugs in in these cases.

if i can focus on doing one nontechnical thing for extended periods of time then background audio helps to get into it, i don't notice it much one i'm going though. e.g. at one job i spent about three months listening to mostly the same song on loop. and i must have seen 'inception' in a corner on the second screen about 50 times looping while working on another job, not that i noticed it all that much. but i sure do know the dialogue pretty well. ;)

• krraej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    I personally like listening to instrumental music while working, but whenever I listen to songs with lyrics in them, my attention span seems to noticeably suffer.

I'd recommend reading this article as it references some scientific studies as well:
    https://www.helpscout.net/blog/music-productivity/
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Depends on the work and how much focused i have to be.
    I know a wide range of music i can use to manipulate myself.  I listen to particular fast music like drum n bass and i get faster with modelling for example. If the work is boring i push myself with Metal, if the work needs very high amounts of concentration i use subtle ambient meditation music.
    If i need to get into the zone fast i use shamanic drums and didgeridoo, overtone singing, chants etc.
    But 30% of the time there is silence and the later the evening the more intrusive music becomes.
    You know how that saying goes with dosage and poison.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Blond
    Also just FYI, it is "Does music hinder".
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    It does help my focus.  Sometimes I model to music on from a twitch streamer and the only hindrance that comes up are the more obnoxious joke/parody/"meme" songs, and trap.
    All else - including gangsta rap, nu metal, dubstep and italo disco - are fair game.

Much of my procrastinating involves being too lazy to even start music :(
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    if I know exactly what I'm doing it can help, like unwrapping UVs. But if I'm trying to be creative/problem solve, not so much
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I do my best work in dead silence!
    I always used to have music or something in the background, but I had my best sessions when the playlist or whatever ended without me noticing. So now I work without any noise as often as I can. 

Doesn't happen that often though, and open offices are really harmful to my focus. So I have to use music to drown out the inconsistent noise of an office or the traffic outside. 

Silence > Music > People Talking!  
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Richard Williams misunderstood what pissed off Milt. I think Milt was a talented animator but he didn't handle distraction well, especially if that distraction was a new hire constantly hovering around, randomizing his hero with a bunch of questions. Which I think is a much bigger problem.

If Milt had headphones on, even if he wasn't listening to music he probably could have avoided Richard and his annoying questions all together, ha.

Personally I think the internet is way more distracting than music ever could hope to be. Followed by people distracting other people.

I agree with Jakob, people randomizing each other with distracting chatter is a killer. Even if it's work related, it might not be relevant to other people within ear shot but they might get pulled off task or at least distracted by the noise. It can tank productivity for a lot of people.

My personal pet peeve is when people slowly trickle in at different times in the morning and they all want to have a morning convo before they settle in and get to work. Having a constant parade of people wandering around the office checking in with each other can really tank productivity. I get that this is a tight industry that spends a lot of hours together and we share a lot of interests, but having the same conversation with 5-10-15 people is annoying, distracting and killing productivity.

I also hate it when people hover and ask what you're working on and want to see it.
    Yes, it's technically not hard for me to zoom out, hit play and let you watch the anim I'm working on.
    Yes, its fun to show people progress and new things, even if this is the 5th time in 30 min...
    Yes, I know what you think looks off. It was the thing I was working on before you came over.
    Excellent you want other people to see it, well fuck whatever the hell I was working on I guess it's review time.

/grumpy old man
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I listen to podcast especially about animation, 3d, interviews about workflows and stuff. Music is a liittle distracting tbh. I usually work quietly if the task at hand demands my full attention, listen to music if I am working on light hearted stuff like modeling relatively simple geometry and uvmapping. Texture painting requires my full attention so most times, I go without the music.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    I personally choose music that fit the work I'm doing. An example would be: I'm currently working on Medieval props, so I'd listen to Witcher/Skyrim and other medieval themed Soundtracks.

Rim the sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSeoX_4nzU&list=RDCiSeoX_4nzU
    witcher 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSeoX_4nzU&list=RDCiSeoX_4nzU
    Witcher 3 DLC (tiz good): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRT3FOOk9ZI

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm doing artwork, I'm much more productive when I have music on. Sometimes I catch myself being unproductive and then realize I forgot to turn my music back on. It's an association thing for me at this point - after doing 3D for 18 years, my brain associates music with getting shit done.

However, if I'm doing certain tasks like creative or technical writing, music can be too much of a distraction. Similarly, sometimes when I read I need to turn the music off - if I'm reading a tutorial or researching something complex, music can be a major distraction. If I'm doing voice-over work for a tutorial I need complete and utter silence, 

But while doing art? Naa, my brain goes on auto-pilot.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    A while ago there were German tests carried out to measure driving performance with car audio. Results pointed to drivers performing better with audio.

I like restful non-vocal music when concentrating (eg, cinemix) and anything else when doing repetitive stuff.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Back in the days I actually needed the TV on to learn. Just as basic background noise and it was a sign that my mind is wandering off when I caught myself starting to watching it, so I immediately returned to my books. Without it I sometimes got lost in random thoughts and didn't even notice how much time I was wasting.

When it comes to creative tasks, I actually am more productive with music. Also each time I was at a concert I had the urge to do something like drawing.

When I have to write/read something I normally blind out anything else, but I prefer having some background noise (TV or music) just in case to prevent myself from getting distracted by random changes in my surroundings.
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    I listen to music almost all the time (hell I even listen to music in school the whole day...), these days It can sort of kick-start me when I am not really feeling like doing a damn thing. I have done work without music and I think it tends to be better, but that might just be placebo. From what I have read here I am gonna try and listen to less music for a bit though.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Your brain can really only focus on one thing at a time; I use to listen to music but as one person mentioned when it's silent or I can tune out the noise around me I do my best work.  The problem with music is your brain will focus on the music distracting you from focusing on what you're doing.  

Listen to music while you wait for the bus or in your car, or better yet when you're cleaning your house.

Although classical music can help you focus too, if you've read about this, it is absolutely on target.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    Many of you guys may enjoy this playlist. It's easy on the mind and not too distracting. Yet still immersive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVRqq947lNo

This is the playlist I'm currently looping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saRnZWg3Sw&list=PL78439D6F512000E0
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another good white noise generator.
    https://simplynoise.com/

Rain with optional thunder
    https://rain.simplynoise.com/
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Sometimes i prefer silence but usually im more productive with some music, electro swing always works :D
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merwynl polycounter lvl 8
    Depends on my mood and the type of music. On some days, even just the sound of someone breathing I might find distracting but on some other days, I could really go for some loud music. Usually though, the music tends to be non-lyrical as I find them way too distracting.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I just recently found out that I am far more productive when listening to people, like podcasts / discussions or whatever does not require a video alongside. Give it a try. 
    I think the magic behind is that it is kind of entertainment without distracting work, so you are not driven to procrastinate and search for other kind of entertainment. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Shrike said:
    I just recently found out that I am far more productive when listening to people, like podcasts / discussions or whatever does not require a video alongside. Give it a try. 
    I think the magic behind is that it is kind of entertainment without distracting work, so you are not driven to procrastinate and search for other kind of entertainment. 
    That worked for me for a while, until I stopped absorbing the contents of the podcasts, which is a huge bummer for me. Now I listen to music more while working, and podcasts more on the bus, when I can properly listen and absorb.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    music only for uv work and painting... 
    everything else no music... 
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    pior said:

Works wonders, especially when played through speakers. I use it to cover the busy pedestrian city street noise below, but also sometimes in the middle of the night when things are dead silent. I can let it run for hours.
    Didn't knew that one, thanks ! 
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    dubstep.fm & bassdrive.com ;)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    pior said:

Pior, since you've posted this, I've been pretty much using it exclusively at work and it's awesome.