Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deadpool Hoodie Version [WIP]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
DanaosC polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone, in an effort to practise and get more experience in the 3D field as well as make my portfolio better I decided to post my WIP for my next work in this thread.
I chose this interesting version of Deadpool, made by .Axis.

The reason I chose this is because I want to practise clothes, mainly wrinkles and folds.
I will be using Marvelous Designer for the cloth base as I haven't played a lot with it then and sculpt the details in Zbrush.

I started with a rough base of a male body that I have for models like this where no skin will be visible.

I will be updating this thread with each important progress. I really appreciate your suggestions and comments as I am looking to evolve!

Kind regards
-Dan

Replies

• DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done most of the pants sculpt (I may need to get back to it to adjust the overall form later on).
    Made some of the belt for now so I could see where the pants should be and moved on to blocking out the shoes.

Thanks to @kanga it was easier this time as I used retopology and NURMS subdivision to give it a proper shoe shape.
    Truth is I am having issues following the concept's boots as I don't get what's happening at the top so I may not stick to it 100% and check other references for the boots.

Finally as the overall colors and feel aren't too dirty, meaning the colors will be quite "clean" I want to focus on sculpting realistic details so the final product will be as realistic as I can.
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the boots. Shoe laces and all, boy that was a headache. I am quite happy with them but please go ahead and comment on them if something looks wrong. I went ahead and sculpted folks and some texture on them, I could push it further but I am not sure if they will be visible in the end. I am planning for one 4k texture.

So when I finished the boots I noticed something was off about the overall body. Not sure if it's my idea but with the boots which are a big higher than the usual and the pants, I think the legs lose a bit of their definition and look short. What do you guys think? I'd really appreciate some feedback on this as I don't want to go ahead with the wrong analogies. I did mess around with the lower part but still it looks weird to me. Could it be the boots/legs are too thick?

Without the boots/pants it doesn't look wrong, is there an issue or it's all in my head?

Thanks in advance guys!
    Cheers~
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    My first thought since your 1st post --- His legs could be longer. And maybe move his waistline up a bit too. Think his torso is quite long... Does his bellybutton almost line up with his elbows ? His knees could be slimmer as well I think.

Keep going man! I'm digging the concept a lot.
    +Fav
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    His legs and torso's look fine to me.  Thigh's 2 heads high, etc.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Crap, sry. Was meant to edit the post I made above, not post a new one...

Note; I'm biased. I like long legged characters.

• DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Brian :)
    @PyrZern Funny thing is that I made the legs longer after my first poat (The one you compared is the longer legged version ;P )
    Yeah I also like long legged characters but I'd like the guy to be realistic and not anime-ish (As the concept's proportions tend to go to animu style,no?)
    I am glad you like it! I may make some slight changes to the waistline and legs (nothing extreme though as I want to keep it realistic and keep going!
    Thanks for your time! Much appreciated~
    PS. Sweet new profile avatar ;) 
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another small update.
    I am done with the mask and shirt.

The mask was fun to make, used panel loops for the seams around the eyes.
    I also moved the waist a bit higher and made the knees thinner. Now the pants fit a bit better and looks good.

I'll now move to the hoodie! I am assuming this will be the challege, hope it turns out good.
    Then I'll go on with the gloves (gosh I hate making gloves for some reason) and I'll be done with the cloth stuff.
    More to come!
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoodie and sword strap thingy done apart fom some seams and the badge! It was really weird figuring out the strap as in the concept art it's under the hoodie but if that's the case how does the sword gets mounted on it? X_X Maybe the concept artist didn't notice it? Anyway I did a workaround but not sure if it looks legit.

Onto finishing the belt, gloves (ugh) and the props strapped on his legs.
    Do you guys have anything to comment regarding the sculpting? I really appreciate the feedback!

Cheers~
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .... I'm not sure what to think of the sword strap thing.

Hood and jacket are nice though.
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern
    Yeah I am not a big fan of it either. I mean it will barely be visible when the sword goes on top of it, but what would you do instead of that?

I assume the artist didn't think too deep about it so I have to improvise.

• DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt's done! The props are what left. I am not such a fun of hard surface stuff but i'll give my best for the gun and sword!

I'll leave the backstrap as it is right now till I see how it looks with the sword on.
    If you guys have anything to comment on, please go ahead! :D
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Great work with a lot of the clothing folds, DanaosC! It's a really tiny thing, but I think Deadpool's shirt is a little tighter around the midsection in the concept, and has fewer heavy folds in the same area (just above the belt). 

Tightening that area up might give the character a little bit more of that lean and fit feel. The current shirt isn't so baggy that it's messing with the read, but it feels like he's a little lazier and unkempt (which could still probably work).

Hope to see how the character progresses!
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dGreenberg
    Thanks for your kind words mate!
    And ah dang it, you're absolutely right, I can't unsee it now.I should have gone for a tighter shirt but I was so cought up into practising folds and wrinkles...Unfortunatelly I am already at the retopo phase. X_X
    I'll be more careful in the future!

Thanks for your time, much appreciated! Cheers~

PS. How do you guys think I should go for the zipper?! I am so confused. Should I just bake it on a plane or on a box, because I am no sure if I want it to be flat, then again in a box it wouldn't have the gaps between each "tooth".

• DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I've finished the LowPoly version and I am onto unwrapping. Some technical issues held me back but it should be ready soon!
    I decided to go with a plane for a zipper. 

• DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone I got carried away and wrapped it up. I am satisfied with it for my current level. I managed to nail a solid pose and the clothes/folks are what I wanted.
    What I am less excited about it the realism. I wanted to go for a realistic look but it ended up a semi-stylized/realistic model. This and the overall likeless to the concept. I should have paid more attention to the materials of the clothing and made different folds. Plis the original had a more intimidating vibe while my guy looks kinda spineless. I did learn so much along the way and I'll use the knowledge of my mistakes to improve my future works, a big thanks to anyone who helped me along the way! Cheers lads.

More and higher quality images along with Marmoset Viewr over at Artstation.