Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4: Fantasy ruins environment

Replies

• CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, beautiful, love the last screenshot of the foliage!!! Subscribed!
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, not had much time on this lately but I've done a little bit of foliage/general work.  Here is a little bit of progress!  The trees have been removed just for now to focus more of the terrain
  • BenjaminoFree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenjaminoFree polycounter lvl 4
    The new grass is crazy nice!
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent said:
    Hi guys, I had a few hours free this wknd and I'm trying to spend some time working on the foliage.  Here is a small update with new grasses and heather. I'm going to try to get some more assets to near final stage starting with the ground level stuff... 

At first I thought it's your reference image, nice work. :3
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    very cool work, looks like something coming out from a game like witcher3 :)
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!  I have been making some big changes to this project so it probably looks a lot rougher than it did in the last update but I really wanted to go back and focus on the big stuff again.  Need to light it now and get all that nice foreground detail back in. Lots of placeholder still especially the ship

• jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final update for the day!
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Great work! Loving the composition on your newest piece. I like how you occluded the foreground elements. It gives the scene some nice depth that it didn't have before.

Right now I can tell those engines are massive, but I don't really know how massive they are. I think it would benefit the scene a lot to have something to measure the scale against those engines. Like having a small town near those engines. That way viewers can get a more tangible feel for just how big those engines are.

Definitely keeping an eye on your work.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!  I'm hoping that as I work in to the ships (a lot of is is still blockout) and add lots of debris and destroyed sections the scale will become more apparent.  I'm also going to put more trees and scale references near to it, hopefully that will help! :)  Here is a little update...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The thing that's really bothering me with this scene is the distinct lack of cast shadow shapes inside of those giant engines. Cast shadows are essential to grounding things in a scene, and everything else has them so they feel really out of place.

in terms of scale, I feel like the size of the tertiary details on the ship are too large. From that distance and scale, the perforation of the inner surfaces would be smaller and less deep, and you'd probably see paneling falling off before you'd seen engine flaps. Otherwise it makes it look like a smaller ship scaled up 100x

At this scale, you really have to choose your shapes wisely. Dunno if any of that makes sense. :cold_sweat: 

• Dvids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    Really cool so far. Love the foilage! Is that all Speed Tree? 
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Eh, I love how the scale looks, sells it well to me! Good job, keep it up.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    I like the new direction you're taking. Looks more epic. The contrast in scale is really nice.
    Now, try to keep the crashed ship the focal point of the scene.

Cheers!
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Oh, man... that looks really sweet! Very nice work!!
    I think that the normal of your water material is too strong, so maybe you can lower it a bit.
    Also the ruined pillars don't seem to be ruined enough since they are split into parts (which is ruined), but the parts seem to be in mint conditions. But that is just a picky critique, all this work is amazing, I first thought that the last render was your reference image too, so congratulations :)
    Maybe adding some animals is too much? you seem to be capable of doing that anyway!

I would love to see a breakdown on the landscape material/textureas, on the lightning system (are you using GI?) and finally on the postproduction fx!!

Juan.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support and feedback guys!  Makkon, I agree totally about the scale, I have started to address this now.  The back of the ship is still blockout and so are the materials.  I also havent made the damage state yet and this is the next big step!

Dvids, yes the trees and bushes I made with speedtree, the rest of the foliage is just using max.

Thanks FreneticPonies and EpicBeardMan!

N4UJ I will definetly do some breakdowns if people are interested once I have finished.  As for your feedback I think its on some of the very old images, the project has evolved a lot and the water and ruins have been cut now but I would love to know what you think of the new version.  Also I kinda wanna add some sheep, the landscape is based of Wales so it woud fit well!  

Here is a little update.  My two major tasks to address are breaking up and texturing the ship and getting my tory telling in to the foreground.  I plan to have a couple of characters in there to tell the story.

Please keep the comments and critique coming!

• HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Great work so far will be watching the journey!

How did you create those clouds/skybox? I love the look!
  • Dvids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    Wow this is getting better and better! Really love the composition.

I would definitely look forward to some breakdowns! :)
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :)  The clouds are done using a plugin for unreal 4 called TrueSky, its slightly buggy still but you can get fantastic results with it really easily!
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    jsargent said:

N4UJ I will definetly do some breakdowns if people are interested once I have finished.  As for your feedback I think its on some of the very old images, the project has evolved a lot and the water and ruins have been cut now but I would love to know what you think of the new version.  Also I kinda wanna add some sheep, the landscape is based of Wales so it woud fit well!  

Here is a little update.  My two major tasks to address are breaking up and texturing the ship and getting my tory telling in to the foreground.  I plan to have a couple of characters in there to tell the story.

Please keep the comments and critique coming!

I thought that you still kept the water in some part of the landscape!
    If you are going to focus in this frame I think that the size of the far away trees is wrong, it is almos 1/3 of the far away mountain. Are the far mountains a different landscape perhaps?
    The tree on the right seems to be out of place, I would either erase it or add some more foliage (if that tree can grow, some bushes might also have grown around there!)
    This might be a picky critique but there it goes: the birds look cool comming out of the engine, but the thing is that these kind of birds don't really like dark places like that because their eyes are made for the light. You can still add bats or something like that instead.

n4uj

• HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    sweet ill check that out!
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little update for today.  More work on the ship!  Next is to destroy the whole thing and add al the damage sections.  The only photoshopping is the characters, just to give an idea of the story.  I will try to pose up some later on!
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not much done on this this weekend but I have started to make some damaged sections to break the ship a little bit :)  I'm coming to the end of this so I would love feedback before the end, I've stared at it so much I cant see it properly any more!:)
  • TheCrazyDemoMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheCrazyDemoMan polycounter lvl 3
    I think it would be amazing to see the edges of a little 'village' in the engine. I mean wouldn't people naturally just set up shop there?
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    The birds in conjunction with the people on the path are helping with scale a lot. Personally I think the path could be narrower. It feels too wide right now for the scale you have. That said, great work on getting that scale looking good.

I don't know if it's at all helpful but I did a quick eye trace through the image. I don't know if that's how you intended the viewers to trace through the image, but I really dig it.

I also did a quick color paintover to show a direction I think would personally look better. 

• jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, after a little break I am back on this. Here is some updates, getting close to the end now I think, want to move on soon.  Any comments still very welcome though as I'm not totally finished yet :)
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    I can never understand how to properly add textures to the heightmap from World Machine. My highres textures look shit when I apply them.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need some help, this new composition or the last one?!  I moved the ship over:

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I think I liked your previous one. This one gets the eye caught in the groove the trees and engine gap makes.
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I like the new one, doesn't feel so abrupt on the right, opens it up and suggests there's more to the structure plus a nicer flow for the eyes.
    Fantastic work btw, inspirational :smile: 
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I have finally gotten around to finishing and presenting this! I'm also going to make a little video fly through soon to show it off in motion! Its been a pretty big project so I hope you like it. I have done a little writeup with lots of breakdowns here: www.jodysargentportfolio.com Thanks
  • jsargent
  • jsargent
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

This is fantastic, looking forward to the video.

• Madwish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Jody (it's Kevin, I was a trainee at Rocksteady).

Lovely work all around! I especially like the focus on the composition and large shapes, I've become obsessed with that recently. If I had some things to say, it would be the following:

- I prefer the version from January 31. The latest feels quite forced on the post process and colors I think, might be completely personal though.
    - I love the big circular shapes, but maybe it could be even more emphasized. The right one is the most obvious focus, but the left one still attracts a bit since it's a circular shape too and it's actually brighter. Maybe you could have some destruction on the left one to break that, or maybe some kind of blend on the ground around the right one (like it's burned or something). Maybe some sort of low intensity light system coming from inside, or it could be that some people decided to create some sort of village inside that thing.

Those are pretty minor though. It looks nice already, congratz. Looking forward to the video ;)
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I like the January 31st one as well. I think this is a very nice project that you've got, you really nailed it. The foliage looks very nice and the scale is helping you immensely. Great job.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith polycounter lvl 6
    I can say amaizing work u done !!!
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys thanks for the kind works,  much appreciated! :).   I totally agree with the saturation of the final image and I fixed it, I really need a new monitor desperately!.  I just wanted to share a little video that I put together on this scene.  For more info on my process I have also done a little write up on my portfolio at www.jodysargentportfolio.com.  

https://youtu.be/ln4KBTy4l5I
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    This is incredibly beautiful. Amazing work
  • Ognyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ognyan polycounter
    Brilliant! Very inspiring work!
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    man I just read the stuff you wrote in your portfolio, thats amazing!!
    did you used distance field ambient occlusion? what texture size are you using for the foliage and terrain materials?

thanks for sharing ;) its brilliant stuff!
  • wetojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wetojo polycounter lvl 2
    Wow, this turned out incredible. Great work.
  • CodeferBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeferBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work, I read UE4 and FANTASY and that just caught my eyes to see only this amazing masterpiece.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hi JSargent, I've been following this for some time and you've done some beautiful work! I assume that you are done with this piece, but if you're still planning on making any tweaks then perhaps you could consider adding some sway/wind to the trees? That's the only issue that immediately stand out to me.
    Either way, it's a great piece and the birds are a great touch. Congrats!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome, came out so well :) Cool break down on your site too gona be a fun read!
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the comments guys! :)  Teaanscigarettes I did notice this actually, I was playing around with the wind settings the other day and turned it off by accident!  I fixed it in the final shot of the video and will probably go over the other shots later on, thanks for spotting it though!  Here is the final version aside from that wind tweak.  I tweaked the final shot and the fades at the end.

https://youtu.be/49taDuEf9G4